Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto - What Settings To Use?
RE: ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto - What Settings To Use?
It's not a lot to work with, but we can reduce pressure support to 3.0 and change trigger sensitivity to high. That may be more comfortable for you and avoid the CA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2024, 12:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's not a lot to work with, but we can reduce pressure support to 3.0 and change trigger sensitivity to high. That may be more comfortable for  you and avoid the CA events.

Thanks Sleeprider! Is there any other potential solutions to the air starting to leaking out the mouth while sleeping? (Please see my post in this thread, before my last post). I figured that was the biggest issue. I've heard people speak about chin straps and maybe that neck cushion thing. Or should we just adjust the settings for now?
Post Reply Post Reply
The best solution to air leaks is to help yourself resist air loss through the mouth by supporting the jaw. When I lay on my side, I pull a corner of the pillow between my lower shoulder and jaw. this support will prevent the jaw from sagging and allowing air leaks. There are various jaw straps, but you want to pull upward, not back. A soft cervical collar can work in extreme cases, but sometimes just training yourself to control air pressure is all you need. With my P10 at a minimum pressure of 14/10, I can talk, sip water through a straw and have no loss of pressure from my airway. It's all about learning to use the back of the tongue to block airway pressure from the mouth.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supporting the jaw - got it. I already have my tongue blocking the airway in the day and as going to sleep, but I assume it loosens in sleep.

I can only sleep on my back, so I'm wondering if my jaw probably lowers like this, which is why I thought maybe the strap/cervical collar may help.

I've also read up that it helps people who sleep on their back, so maybe it would be 2 birds with 1 stone. Stop mouth leaks and potentially decrease obstructions from back sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
It works for a lot of people on this forum. You only need gentle upward pressure on the back of the jaw to have an effective seal and improve positional apnea. That is actually preferable to a lot of pressure on the chin.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking for guidance.

Two oscars attached. 18 July = previous settings. 23 July = last night with newer.

As per the above suggestions I have (on 23 July):
- Decreased PS from 4 to 3.
- Increased Trigger from Medium to High.

I was experiencing mouth leaks before so I am also now using:
- Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap
- Mouthtape

First night of the above new settings, I couldn't sleep for a few hours, so I took it off. I have not uploaded this data.

Last night my second attempt, I've uploaded the OSCAR (23 July). I am not sure whether I slept or not or for how long, but considering it was 4hr22min before I took my mask off I might of since that's a pretty long time. Anyway to know if I actually slept? It was difficult again.

Regardless, there's events shown in the first 30min. I wasn't sleeping by then 100%.

I'm still in the phase of not being able to sleep with everything all night, but I want to make sure I have the right settings too.

Here's some distinction I've noticed and where I want some guidance.

On 18 July - the very first time I used my machine I did sleep for 2 hours straight away, fell asleep easily, on the original PS 4/Med Trig settings. However I woke up and took it off because the air was leaking through my mouth (even with some mouthtape only in the middle of my mouth), but I have the chin strap to hopefully assist with that now. As you can see on the 18 July OSCAR, the events are mostly within the first 20min. I doubt I would have been sleeping that quickly. So I'm not sure if those events are actually relevant because they could be while I was trying to get to sleep.

Perhaps those original PS-4 settings were actually good (if mouth leaks now stop with my new chin strap)?

The past two nights with the new PS-3 trigHigh settings, I've really had a hard time getting to sleep for some reason. Not sure how "Pressure Support" affects things or what it does.

I also do have UARS FYI.

22 July - shows my last night, with the new settings and chin strap.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you liked the higher PS, you can move PS up to 3.4 or 3.6 and even 3.8 to see where you find your best comfort. It really is trial and error, and only you can judge what works best. With the Vauto, you have options besides full 1-cm increments.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I think I'll test that a bit. What about for the "Trigger High"? I had it on medium before. Is there any disadvantages to "High" vs going back to medium?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on BiPAP AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings for Upper Airway Resistance Syndro chacha897d 1 166 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Resmed 10 vauto can hear breathing Officialdee 6 121 Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Can I use Aircurve 10 ASV (PaceWave CS) instead of an Aircurve 10 Vauto ? Gillyweed 7 173 09-06-2024, 01:28 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 49 1,648 09-05-2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: RVSleeper
Information [CPAP] Aircurve 11 Oscar Chart WeaponizedCactus 7 225 09-05-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Squealing Resmed AirCurve ASV FE350 2 104 09-03-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: FE350
  New resmed 10 vauto Officialdee 0 167 08-25-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Officialdee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.