Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia while awake?
Aerophagia while awake?
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with my pressures and have noticed that at higher pressures (12) I'm getting significant aerophagia. Two questions:

1. Is it normal to get aerophagia even while you're awake? I'm certain this has been happening to me.
  2. Does bilevel (increased pressure support) help to reduce aerophagia?
Thanks!

Donsburg
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia while awake?
Bump2
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take some time to get rid of aerophagia that has accumulated during sleep with pap (symptoms can persist during the day until the excess air is expelled).  From my research, swallowing air during eating and chewing gum are 2 ways to get aerophagia when not sleeping with pap.  Possibly carbonated beverages if my memory serves me correctly also. 

From what I have read, it depends.  If your EPAP is keeping the airway open enough, some pressure support of a bilevel shouldn't cause aerophagia.  But the higher pressures get, usually the more at risk a person is for aerophagia.  People have different tolerance levels to various pressures (esophageal sphinters).  But on the flip side, if you EPAP is not maintaining an open airway, then some of pressure support could be diverted; and could go down your esophagus into your stomach instead of into your lungs.  

If anyone has better explanations, please post.  Usually the single best thing to do to reduce aerophagia is to decrease pressure.  GERD can contribute to increased aerophagia.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure support just the difference in pressure between EPAP and IPAP and if it's set to to static it will not be able to move up, if it's on auto it can move up to compensate for collapse in the airway. Bipap helps aerophagia because we are able to set the ipap and epap pressures individually to help with over pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Higher pressures = more aerophagia.
My story only and shouldn't be applied to you:

I have chronic aero due to a very weak esophageal sphincter and no cure. I can feel my throat relaxing and the air compressor painfully blowing up my belly like a beach ball. A couple hours later I start blowing it out the tailpipe, keeping me awake, so I remove the mask and try to get back to sleep. I'm on auto ASV + oxygen and cannot find the right mix.

Work with these guys to lower your pressures to a comfortable level. I've had some minor success by wearing a lifting belt (tummy wrap) tightly at bed time, but sometimes woke up and it's slipped to around my chest. I've given up for now, but I wish you luck.

MHR
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone help with AHI score for MyAir? It changes throughout the night awake. Joeyk74 1 104 09-12-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 2 214 09-11-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: a29988122
  Pressure when awake antlane 2 144 09-06-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: antlane
  My solution to aerophagia with CPAP manacles 7 228 09-04-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: croc
  Fixed Aerophagia using a Halo style chin strap ISeekRem 0 155 09-01-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: ISeekRem
  Fix aerophagia for cheap VINEDIGGER 9 528 08-30-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Jay Belmont
  Dealing w aerophagia and probably UARS, Help Jstalez 19 674 08-10-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Jstalez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.