Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Swapped from Sefam S. Box to ResMed
Swapped from Sefam S. Box to ResMed
Hello all,

I just wanted to say that some time ago I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea. I wanted to share my story in case it would help someone else. Apparently almost inexistent sleep apnea on the side, and quite strong on my back, which resulted in a score of 15.6 AHI. I say "apparently" because the sensor kept coming off over night, and I would wake up all the time trying to readjust it. You will see that me waking up easily is a theme. So I thought the positional data was a bit dubious.

I had to access the study through private care because I had been waiting on the NHS for months to just get the sleep study.

I get given a Sefam, I read it's the NHS standard issue, which reassured me. It was a costly purchase, I also bought the service that goes with it where the Sleep Clinic gives some consultations afterwards and offers support. This was all well and good, except I had no control over the machine and I had to keep asking the clinic to change settings for me. Having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, while they were giving me responses within a day or two, it was not fast enough to avoid the issue where the machine would wake me up more than the sleep apnea and then it triggered my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. CFS = I can't work, I could not afford to keep triggering it. A CFS episode can last for days, several episodes can last for weeks. To be clear, the CFS was diagnosed separately from the OSA, it was caused by COVID and for now the two diagnoses are separate.

Aside from the lack of control, I just had all sorts of problems with the Sefam. I felt I would suffocate, so they turned on the comfort setting (i.e., lower pressure when you breathe out), but then the pressure inside the mask changed very suddenly and that woke me up. But even trying different levels of the comfort settings, when exhaling I felt that the Sefam would pull the air out of me somewhat. On the other hand somehow the incoming flow of air felt very invasive, no matter how many times I tried to get used to it during the day, while watching TV etc. I wound up waking up so suddenly one night, it was like having a very bad episode of sleep apnea, and my heart rate was racing WHILE on the machine, all the while the report said I had no episodes. The machine was just keeping me awake more than the apnea and I breathed worse. My max pressure was 6, which I know is rather low, but remember my apnea is not severe. I also had Ramp on, and even with that, it would take me a while before I could fall asleep in the first place. However, when I could keep the mask on, I didn't get any OSA episodes. The clinic said I'd get a little bit of flow obstruction with that pressure, but given that I would wake up so easily and I wasn't getting blocked, they didn't want to raise the pressure yet until I got used to it. I agreed with this assessment.

The situation didn't improve, and with the CPAP making my sleep quality worse, I gave up on it for a while and tried to do other things the clinic said to do, like sleeping on my side. However, I know full well that I snore on my side, both my other half and I observed it (yes snoring wakes ME up, even though apparently it isn't too loud). So I knew that sleeping on my side was okay, but didn't fully resolve the issue. 

On a side note, my watch also is rather good at picking up interruptions. While I can't 100% trust the sleep stages, every time I had a good night with the CPAP the interruption score was rather high and above average. This is a Polar Ignite 3. The interruption score is between 1 and 5, high score is less interruption. Polar states the average person has a score of 3.2. On the machine I can get higher than 3.2. Without the CPAP machine, even when trying to sleep on my side, I can get anything between 1.9 and 2.4. Occasionally I will get a higher score.

Anyway, recently I felt I was going to the loo during the night more often. I could also occasionally feel my airways close and wake up regardless of the sleeping position. A friend of mine (who is the one who suggested I checked if I had sleep apnea), said he was using a ResMed. After some research I saw a number of people saying that they tried both and on the Sefam they were not very happy. So I took the matter in my own hands and bought a ResMed. Tried it last night. I had 0 problems. The only slight issue is finding a position for the mask on the pillow when I turn around (my hips don't like me staying on one side for too long). Otherwise not once did I feel I was suffocating. I didn't feel panicked with the mask on etc. According to MyAir, I had a 0.1 AHI last night. I also put the max pressure to 6.4, given what the Clinic had said regarding still having a bit of flow restriction. It was so much more comfortable, I couldn't believe it. I will keep trying but this is encouraging. I did have the occasional good night on the Sefam so I want to make sure this isn't just a "fluke". And my watch said my interruption score was 4.0 as well.

I will try to remember to update this in a week's time to see how it is going.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swapped from Sefam S. Box to ResMed
Welcome

Awesome you got a resmed, i can't believe the NHS made you buy a SBox Sad just fyi watches aren't very precise for sleep stages detection, 0.1 ahi is the accurate and important part.

install oscar and post some charts, but 6.4 max is low for adults.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swapped from Sefam S. Box to ResMed
Heya, yes I know watches are inaccurate for sleep stages, I stated that. That info was just there to show the difference between not using CPAP and using CPAP, as the machine cannot track my sleep if I am not using it.

I went private as stated, the NHS still had me on the waiting list by the time I got the study done privately, sorry if I wasn't clear. The sleep clinic's website stated the Sefam was NHS standard issue, which it is in some parts of the country.

The sleep clinic set the pressure at 6, as I explained they said it could be maybe a tad higher but as it controlled the apnea and I wake up easily they wanted me to get used to it.

So I am not going to change to much higher unless the sleep clinic says so. My AHI was 0.1 last night, so I am not looking to change anything just yet. Your pressure should be at the lowest possible effective pressure. Atm 6.4 (a tad higher as the clinic stated) is effective. If I find it problematic later on, I will share charts and look for help, after the sleep clinic has been consulted and I was not able to get a resolution. Smile

I was just sharing my story in case it helps people who have trouble with the Sefam.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! Battery connection for Sefam SBox Pappydog 2 168 06-22-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pappydog
  SEFAM S BOX ISSUES ANYONE FAMILIER WITH THIS MACHINE??? dizzy1 10 664 06-01-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Anyone used a Sefam S.Box machine? KeithR 38 11,450 04-24-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: dizzy1
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 390 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,590 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubting my Sefam S.Box Irish2024 1 552 01-06-2024, 07:03 AM
Last Post: dbcpap
  [Equipment] Philips Dreamstation 1 vs Sefam S.Box (S Box, SBox) dbcpap 6 1,742 12-01-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: DrJelly

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.