Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless
RE: 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless
If you can post your sleep study it would help folks here to advise you. It may be that you need a different type of pap machine.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone, I'm reviving this thread just if someone comes here from google or has the same issue as me.

I have now been to the hospital again, and while talking to the assistant nurse he obviously agreed that my ahi of 40+ was not very good, during a monthly period my AHI was about 37,5 ~ with mostly central apneas.

Talking to him I took the advice from people here and suggested a ASV to treat my symptoms, he quickly got a little bit angry (?) and told me that ASV was not meant to treat my symptomps? I dont know if I've been incredibly unlucky with doctors/nurses but they seem to not be very well informed on the hosptial I go to, Its not a sleep lab or clinic in itself, but rather a wing on a big hospital that treat people with sleep apnea & other "lung" problems, I dont know if they have different way to treat sleep apnea in Sweden or whats going on.

Anyway, I talked to a assistant nurse, because apparently I can't seem to get a 1on1 with a doctor, except for a phone call that lasted about 2 minutes.

He read my charts of cpap readings, and said that central apneas are not "dangerous", but if my treatment wasnt working I would get a BiPaP to try instead of a Cpap to see if that would work better.

He was right, I am now on BiPap treatment and it is so much better now, My ahi is now around 10.5 ~ for the month I've been using it now while still not Ideal, its still way better than 40 ~ AHI, I am more rested now and can actually live my life.

What I meant to ask here to from the experts is, we started on a kind of low pressure and i'm not exactly sure how a BiPap works exactly so I dont know what pressure I have right now (I can look it up if it helps), but I'm meant to call the hospital in 1 week to adjust accordingly and maybe raise/lower the pressure for better treatment.

Anyway, atleast for me this did wonders to treat my sleep apnea, and while still not "good", it is a huge improvement over me using Cpap, When I first did my sleep study I had an average of 48 Ahi so my sleep apnea is pretty severe.

Do you guys think that I should push for an ASV at another hospital or clinic, or try to adjust my Bipap settings to see if I can maybe go under 5 AHI per night for ideal treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want targeted advice, post a couple OSCAR charts while using your Bipap.

Otherwise, we'd be guessing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure I can try to do that tomorrow, meanwhile does anyone know how it comes that Bipap seems to treat or atleast lessen my central apneas by a large amount?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2024, 02:33 PM)Bobblan Wrote: Sure I can try to do that tomorrow, meanwhile does anyone know how it comes that Bipap seems to treat or atleast lessen my central apneas by a large amount?

I by no means am an expert, but I have been on Bipap for several years now (off and on by admission). Like you, most of my events were CAs and I came to the board looking for help. The one recommendation I received that seems to have helped the most was to turn my Trigger setting to High. I did that and it seemed to work significantly. I now have it actually set to Very High and my CA events dropped from over 100 a night to just a couple of nights ago it was at a 1 and even last night I only had 6 CA events. The most I've had since changing that setting has been 21, which is a huge drop from the 100+ I had been seeing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2024, 02:43 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I by no means am an expert, but I have been on Bipap for several years now (off and on by admission). Like you, most of my events were CAs and I came to the board looking for help. The one recommendation I received that seems to have helped the most was to turn my Trigger setting to High. I did that and it seemed to work significantly. I now have it actually set to Very High and my CA events dropped from over 100 a night to just a couple of nights ago it was at a 1 and even last night I only had 6 CA events. The most I've had since changing that setting has been 21, which is a huge drop from the 100+ I had been seeing.

Oh! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! I'll bring this up with my doctor/nurse, or can I somehow configure it myself?

Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The OSCAR chart recommendation is still valid.

Can you tell us which BPAP you're using now? ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto would be the best machine, especially if they're not acknowledging the ASV request. The VAuto has the trigger setting mentioned.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2024, 03:49 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The OSCAR chart recommendation is still valid.

Can you tell us which BPAP you're using now? ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto would be the best machine, especially if they're not acknowledging the ASV request. The VAuto has the trigger setting mentioned.

Yes I will post whenever I'm able to Smile

The machine I'm using right now is called "lumis 100 vpap st-a".
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the Clinical manual, the ResMed Lumis 100 Vpap st-a has a Trigger setting.

If you need a Clinician's Manual, order here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Look under Section Three.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the equal, or almost so, to the US ventilator class ST-A. It'll treat most everything, helping with Centrals hopefully enough. The ASV is the dedicated Central Apnea tool.

Shocked and puzzled, they won't justify ASV but give out the ST-A. OK, you happen to need a neighbor?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 months in, still feeling tired, sleep, brain fog killing my career. help plz Tabster 6 176 10-19-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Tabster
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 38 1,561 10-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  New User, Still Feeling Tired TrevorB22 3 284 10-08-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: TrevorB22
  Help - not feeling rested in the morning! jc1996 3 265 10-05-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Feeling Worse After Successful CPAP Use kaizer989 10 596 09-16-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Months of CPAP use and feeling more fatigued senseisaitama 4 329 09-15-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 315 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.