Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping
RE: Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping
I agree - mouth tape is an absolute game changer, if you can tolerate it. I tried it for months and during the time I could keep it on, Oscar showed my flow improved and mouth leaks greatly reduced. Unfortunately there's just something about tape that makes me feel panicky and gives me nightmares. I tried all the tapes - Cover roll, medical tape, cloth tape, kinesiology tape, just the sticky part of sensitive-skin band-aids, branded stuff like Hostage tape, etc. I tried covering my entire mouth, part of my mouth, and those tapes that look like an X that just hold your mouth closed. The only one I could stand to wear for more than a couple hours was the X-shaped tape. That didn't really do much for mouth leaks tho.

I did everything to try and stop mouth leaks because after trying all the masks as well, I found that nose pillows worked best for me, both for comfort and fit - virtually no leaking from the cushions. But nose-only masks are almost useless if you end up mouth-breathing during REM, like I do. I tried the cervical collar (uncomfortable), the chin straps (multiple kinds, all would slide off or were uncomfortable) and the mouth tape (couldn't keep it on) without success. So frustrating.

Recently I discovered the V-Com after seeing some youtube recommendations from the Australian guy and the lefty guy. I was like "how the eff is that supposed to do anything" but I decided to try it anyway. They said for an APAP, you need to turn off the ERP and up the pressure by 1 or 2 to compensate for the device's dampening, so I changed my settings from pressure 10-18, ERP 3, no ramp to pressure 11-18, no ERP, no ramp + the device, and my mouth leaks are down to almost nothing.

It's only been a couple of days so it's way too soon to call this a win. My treated AHI remained <3 like before, but my leak rate & flow graphs stopped looking like seismographs during an earthquake. All my other numbers are good and I feel more rested because my flow is evening out. I'm cautiously joyous!

So as of now I'm a fan, but with some caveats. First, the price is RIDICULOUS. $25.00 for a 2-inch piece of plastic that can be made for 25 cents? Greedy. Second, the device goes between your mask and your hose, and the fit is secure but not perfect. It's a piece of hard plastic with no give, so temperature changes in your bedroom affect how tight it seals, which sucks. Hopefully some engineers can improve the design so it becomes more secure.

Sharing my experience with it since I didn't see much chatter on here about that particular device. If you've got your mouth leakage under control, tape or otherwise, pass this overpriced widget by. But it works for me, for now at least, and I don't have to put extra stuff on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
@morarasuradu, I just used what I found at home: BSN medical's Hypafix. It works perfectly and is relatively cheap : 10meters X 0.1 meter roll for about €15. Should last me for years.

I just tape part of my mouth, leaving the commissures free. I have become accustomed to this and don't have any issues. Occasionally I need to cough, and have learned to direct the air out of my nostrils in that case. It is not ideal, but it is manageable.

Now that I have several month of solid data, I have added an oximeter in order to correlate desaturation events with apnea events. Once I am confident about interpreting the oximeter data, I will sleep a few (non-consecutive) nights without CPAP and see whether my Central sleep apnea is mitigated. My objective is to get rid of the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks @volty for your answer, I am also looking for the best mouth taping option, I am still studying the options on the market that would suit me  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Caught this very ugly central sleep apnea event last night. Picture perfect...  Only the second time I see such an event since I stared to wear an overnight oximeter three weeks ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interestingly,  when my oxygen saturation is as low as 80%, my pulse rate goes over 120 b/m, while its overnight average is around 57 b/m.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 0 41 7 hours ago
Last Post: Moemah123
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 11 387 Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Last Post: SeePak
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 162 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 13 391 09-12-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 162 09-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [CPAP] Oscar results - How can I improve on this further? nomosnow 4 241 09-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,445 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.