Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

spouse goes for sleep study soon...what to expect after?
RE: spouse goes for sleep study soon...what to expect after?
If she can start on the Resmed Airfit P10 For Her pillows mask, that will be the most minimal and quiet mask on the market. Starting minimally lets you decide whether a heavier full face mask is needed or not. Most of the time you have 30 days to try out mask and if it's not working then go to the full face. Most people tolerate nasal therapy very well. A stuffy nose or even a cold does not matter. I have used nasal pillows masks for 10 years and never needed a full face for colds, flu or other illness. My wife started last year and also uses the P10. Please do not dismiss the nasal pillows until they have been given a trial.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2018, 07:25 PM)mavericktx Wrote: Appreciate the insight. Thanks so much.

She liked the more elegant pink design of f10/f20/quattro fx masks from Resmed. She has a small face and supposedly the 'for her' series is supposed to fit smaller faces. But fit will ultimately be a big factor it seems. She also really liked the Amara View's openness. She is afraid she will feel claustrophobic in a mask that has the forehead piece.

As a hubby who will be sleeping next to her, how strong or bothersome is the air gonna be that comes from the vent holes in the mask when she rolls over toward me? Venting direction seems to be mentioned a lot in reviews and i guess each mask is different, but I dont mind getting used to it if I know CPAP will help her health.
Did she try a nasal mask and fail?  If not consider the P10 Pillow mask.  It's "venting" almost feels non-existent, even at high pressures.

I recommend a Mask Trial smallest (pillows) to nasal, then Full Face.   And read the Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred! I honestly was more focused on mask rather than machine. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like how easy it is to inhale with the cpap, even through my usually blocked nose.
I slept without it yesterday, and falling asleep was a little hard because I had to breathe through my mouth, and it felt like I needed more air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mavericktx,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
As far as being able to talk into a full-face mask, (FFM,) I thought I was going to have that problem, but I didn't, I can talk through my mask just fine.. Your wife should try as many masks as she can,
till she finds one that she really liked.
I wish her good luck as she starts her CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a chronic rhinitis for years and am allergic to nasal sprays like Flonase. My nose is stuffy most of the day and I was worried about the mask when starting Cpap over two years ago. At first I used the NeilMed Nasal Rinse (with the squeeze bottle and salt packets) for a couple of months, then realized I didn't need them--my nose is usually clear about bedtime. I think the air pressure and humidity really helped! I haven't done as well with the nasal pillow masks and always go back to my tried and true Wisp (Respironncs). I have a small head and nose and use the small headgear and petite nose piece--it covers just the lower part of the nose. After some time I learned to talk with it going but not for long conversations. My husband also has sleep apnea and it works best to sleep back to back--that keeps the exhaust from blowing on your partner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'm all about the pink headgear! Oh, and you just have to look up Pad-a-Cheek. You can get frou frou padding for the headgear pieces (especially where they lie on your face. I have hippy-fied mine with mismatched prints. It's a sight to behold. Anyway, your wife can pinkify to perfection.

I would recommend starting with something like the P10 mask, but if it leaks a lot, or if it's not comfortable, change it out. I waited too long trying to make it work; this made me miserable. She can always come back to it later.

I now use a Resmed full face mask (F10 for Her). The out valve kinda blasts in awkward directions (it's an older design), but it's the best fit for me.

Ooooh...forgot to mention, and your wife may or may not like this extra feature..... the humidification has made my hair curly all over. It was straight. Now I have ringlets. And I don't have to do any styling! People keep asking me, "How did you DO that?" I tell 'em: "I woke up one morning like that".    Laugh-a-lot   

Another bonus, I have a fabulously unwrinkled triangular-shape in the middle of my face. It's as smooth as a baby's bottom. This is especially remarkable since I haven't been a baby (or even close) for many decades.

See here for hippy-fication (and yes, there are hose covers, too). I even kept the pinky-lavender on the rest of the headgear.

[Image: UcjSN6rl.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
She was looking at the pattern hose covers too in addition to the pink headgear Apparently the custom hose covers are more comfy to sleep with and much less medical looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that would really be worthwhile:

Look at the masks on the main manufacturer websites, and download the fitting guides for any that your wife might be interested in.

If you know how they are supposed to fit, and what size she should be, you will be able to tell if the DME is fitting her properly.

Also, if she does go for a nasal pillow, be sure to get all of the pillows that come in the package. They are sold with a variety of sizes for a reason. She needs to actually try them, not just be fitted for one. It is not unusual for DME's to send someone home with only one of the cushions and resale the other two (at about $20 a piece). All sizes should come home!

An opening that is too small will feel perfect when you try it on, but it won't deliver the air properly and she may feel as though she is suffocating. I was sent home with one cushion and had to go back for a larger size; don't make the same mistake I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh I have a kinda obvious question..... Why are we talking about your wife in her absence? Could she maybe come on here herself?

I feel like we've been discussing her behind her back. I'm guilty as charged. And it's kinda rude, IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 287 09-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 112 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 197 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 208 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  A new study ischua 9 330 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 968 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 188 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.