Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2.5 months into using CPAP, looking for possible adjustment recconendations.
RE: 2.5 months into using CPAP, looking for possible adjustment recconendations.
This is interesting! My charts look a lot like the original poster's charts. My "official" Resmed 11 came set with the level prescribed by my sleep studies, at CPAP and at 8 cm, which did not work for me at all after spending many months with a second-hand Resmed 10. That one had been set to APAP with a range of 7.4 to 15, IIRC, and EPR at 3. 

Currently my settings are APAP with 8 to 13 cm, EPR at 1. I worked myself down from EPR 3. Results are variable, with some nights great and under 1 AHI. But I also get a lot of nights in the 3 to 4 AHI range and wake with a headache. I looked through months of my charts in OSCAR and arrived at about 9.5 for my 95% pressure average.

Tonight I'm going to try an adjustment - I'm now set to CPAP at 9.4, with EPR at 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2.5 months into using CPAP, looking for possible adjustment recconendations.
(10-09-2024, 02:38 PM)AshSF Wrote: I would recommend this article first:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8836615/

Then, read this paper in the sleep journal (summary below):
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12150317/

Thank you for the references. 

I read them along with other papers, and the landscape has not become clearer. In short, both APAP and CPAP have advantages and disadvantages. The choice depends on the patient's situation and condition. 

My main concern about these reports is that the methodology is not available. The approach we suggest today, APAP, can differ significantly from those used in the older references. I understood that the study from 2002 concluded that the APAP pressure adjustment causes micro-arousals, which disturb sleep. However,  the first advice we deliver on this forum to patients who obtain an APAP machine in a factory setting is to increase the minimum pressure to close to 95% percentile pressure. Incidentally, this is the CPAP pressure recommended. Was this protocol included in the above-referenced study? I do not think so.  

Nevertheless, it is an important topic to consider carefully because we advise members. 

For instance, during the 25 years, I switched from CPAP to APAP and BIPAP, and I have had a positive experience. At the same time, others in this forum advocate CPAP over APAP. 

I trust I will have some time to read papers and start an independent thread about this CPAP vs. APAP story.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer apap, as cpap is limited to one setting.  A person's needs can change during the night.  Cpaps keep a person at roughly the highest pressure they ever need, while an apap allows lower pressure when the high pressure is not needed, making them more comfortable to use. For people who are sensitive to pressure changes, one can use an apap set for a smaller pressure difference.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2024, 06:29 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: ... A person's needs can change during the night.  ... 

Agree.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my resutlts from the most recent 3 nights. My central apneas have increased above what has been the normal for me. I think that might be due to the epr also increasing. I posted in the forum a few months ago about this issue. My flow limits do seem to have lessened interesting enough.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Where you are at is a balancing between the flow limits and centrals.  I would try moving the EPR down for a few days and see if that helps.  As you move down the EPR check the centrals and flow limits, that is what you are trying to get the balance, you  are trying to achieve to be the best for you.  It may be you will need to get to the place where you have EPR 0 but you will have to decide where it needs to be set for you.  And if the O and H events go up you will need to raise the min to fight those.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Will raising the minimum pressure reduce flow limits?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2024, 12:05 PM)macaronno336 Wrote: Will raising the minimum pressure reduce flow limits?

Yes, but a saturation curve describes the FL vs. min pressure relation;  hence, it is not worth increasing it beyond a region.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2024, 02:39 PM)G. Szabo Wrote: Yes, but a saturation curve describes the FL vs. min pressure relation

would you mind elaborating on the saturation curve? I am not familiar with the terminology.
Post Reply Post Reply
It means that the benefit, i.e., the FL reduction, gradually decreases with increasing pressure. There is a pressure above which the FL is no longer reduced despite further pressure increase.  

Here is a hypothetical example: you have a 0.1 FL reduction when you increase the pressure from  5 to 9 cm, then a 0.03 FL reduction when you increase it from 9 to 13 cm, a 0.01 decrease when you increase it from 13 to 17 cm, and a zero FL reduction when you increase it from 17 to 21 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Backend" adjustment by sleep doc on Aircurve 10 ASV 40Hz 4 109 Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Last Post: 40Hz
  [Pressure] 3 months on CPAP, results have been mixed threeeyedsloth 15 441 Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Aerophagia - Gassy - 5+ months now apneavolt 2 165 10-14-2024, 09:43 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
Sad No improvement after 5 months, Please HELP Sylka 3 189 10-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Sylka
  Couple months in.. how does it look? Any recommendations? ReclaimingMySleep 9 427 10-01-2024, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Frequent awakenings after 11 months, desperate for help, not sure what to do anymore Miau 8 366 09-28-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Miau
  [Diagnosis] On CPAP for 3 months and still exhausted please HELP!! Willrule88 9 531 09-25-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Stracky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.