Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on this CA event, it fully wakes me up
RE: Advice on this CA event, it fully wakes me up
(07-20-2023, 07:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: RERA is a function of flow limitation. It is caused by increasing resistance to flow as inspiration progresses, and shows up as flattening of the inspiration peak. This causes a "respiratory effort related arousal".  Our first and best tool to treat this is pressure support or EPR.  Both result in an increasing pressure as inspiration progresses which offsets respiratory effort and results in a smoother, easier airflow.   Your solution is simple. Increase minimum pressure to 7.0 and turn on EPR Full Time at Setting 3.  This will start your pressure at 7.0/4.0 (inhale/exhale) and allow you to increase to 9.0/6.0.  This pressure support will solve the problem.

Thanks Sleeprider,
Will those settings help with something like this (see the red box on my chart) even if there isn't a flow limit? I had this last night, it woke me up, I was so frustrated after that, I turned off the machine and went back to sleep for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on this CA event, it fully wakes me up
The red highlighted segment shows a very low flow rate, but is not close enough to interpret the flow wave beyond volume and apparent flow restriction (flat tops). EPR or pressure support can help with this, but a sudden increase in flow limitation like this is most likely positional, meaning it is caused by your chin-tucking or head turning to the side in a way your airway becomes obstructed. It's very common and discussed in the positional apnea section of the Optimizing Therapy wiki linked in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unknown event not caught by Resmed nabilx 6 369 Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 229 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 299 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 280 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 428 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Pressure] Reducing all other AHI but CA event stay the same? L4BetterSleep 5 348 08-10-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.