Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate?
Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate?
I was using the Resvent ibreeze the last year, which was my first year of CPAP therapy.  It took a few months but I settled on Bleep Dreamport mask and mouth tape.  Went with this mask due to hair issues and leaks. I had a zero-leak rate per ibreeze with the Dreamports.  

The last few nights using the same mask and mouth tape setup, I got a 10L/min leak rate per Airsense 10 Sleep report.  I know up to 24L/min is acceptable and that some leaking is necessary. 

My question is, is my AHI number accurate despite the leak rate?  In other words, last night I had an AHI of .9 and a leak rate of 10L/min.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate?
Your AHI will be accurate unless you are a fair bit over the 24L.  The ResMed machines are better and report more accurately.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deborah sorry for the late follow up.  Do you think the difference between the ibreeze leak rate (which was zero using same mask/hose) and Airsense 10 leak rate is that the Airsense 10 is just giving me a more accurate number?

I'm having a problem identifying why I'm showing a leak rate with my new Airsense 10, where before, I had no leak rate with the Resvent ibreeze.  Same mask, and everything.  I use the Bleep Dreamports.  These dont' leak.  I went almost a full year using them and no leaks, ever.  All I did was switch to the Airsense and the data now shows a consistent 7L/min leak. Could it be the machine just accounts for the intentional leak rate of the mask differently?  I swapped out the hoses, and even additionally used a chin strap one night in addition to the mouth tape.  I also made sure the water tank was firmly secured.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I do think it is just more accurate.  How wide is your mouth tape, and how long is the piece you wear?  I learned that I need to wear a 2-inch wide and 5-1/2 inches long piece to control my mouth leaks.  If I use narrower or shorter I still leak a good bit.  I still don't always have 0 leaks.  I use Bleep too, and I have to tape it very carefully to avoid leaks out of the sides of the tape if a tiny channel develops.  Nothing is perfect.  I don't expect all zeros, but I sure do like them when they happen.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone on another forum said the following:

"7lpm is the normal calibration for mask leaks... this is subtracted from the leak data to put the leak graph at zero. Try loading your data into Oscar and see what the leak graph shows. All masks have a built-in 7lpm leak."
Post Reply Post Reply
Every mask that I have used was always accompanied by a pamphlet containing a graph of leak values at different pressures. Each manufacturer will report the leak in different ways. If I remember correctly, the Philips reports both total leakage and leakage minus the mask leak rate. The Resmed only reports the leak rate after subtracting the mask's leakage. I'm unsure as to how the other manufacturers are reporting this parameter.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect the Airsense 10 is more accurate than the ibreeze machine.  The ibreeze was pretty bad.  I should have gotten rid of it long ago.  I will keep it as a backup.  I was getting the same issue that the LankyLefty reported on - this weird pulsating pressure issue.  Airsense 10 is working so much better for me.  Love it so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear.  Smile  They are great machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE: 0L/min. It was set to averages LOL. ughhh all that trouble shooting to only find out it was set to average.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 126 Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 134 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 29 910 09-05-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 4 185 09-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability) YouTakeMyBreathAway 3 665 08-28-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 494 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 255 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.