Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Possible UARS, need to decide if I should switch to bilevel or keep adjusting APAP
Possible UARS, need to decide if I should switch to bilevel or keep adjusting APAP
So a few months ago I had made an initial post on this board discussing adjusting my pressure because I was still feeling absolutely abysmal despite using APAP for close to a year. I'm almost positive at this point that I'm dealing with UARS and I need some help deciding what to do moving forward. Been using OSCAR to track my results and I bumped my minimum starting pressure up to 6 from where it was when I first got my machine at 5. Subjectively, I've felt relatively better after this change but still nowhere close to where I want to be. I feel like my low pressure settings, lower flow limitations while having EPR at 3 and general failure with CPAP have given me an indication that I have UARS. Could I get some advice as to where to go from here? Any settings I could change in regards to APAP? Should I start looking into BiLevel? Attached is a few screenshots from where my pressures have been at for the past few months.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible UARS, need to decide if I should switch to bilevel or keep adjusting APAP
And the data from after I adjusted minimum pressure to 6. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible UARS, need to decide if I should switch to bilevel or keep adjusting APAP
Hello user357-

I see the pressure fluctuating a bit in those charts, as well as some leakage. I would suggest that you try cpap mode for a week or so with EPR turned down one (to 2), to see if you feel better (as it is typically more comfortable than apap), set CPAP mode to 9cm. Tonight before bed try this mode for 30-45 minutes just to see how it feels Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I would advice the same. The pressure settings are very low and maybe you just need more pressure to sleep relaxed. Fixed cpap mode at 9 and epr 2 seems like a good start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wouldn't that just cause more centrals though? I'm already dealing with a significant amount of them nearly every night despite having none on my sleep study. And would I really need the higher pressure of 9? My 95% seems to only be at around 7 or so most nights. Just trying to understand here. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Central Apnea count I'm looking at on your OSCAR charts aren't significant enough to have them dictate compromised Obstructive Apnea therapy. There were about 8-10 CA events per night as I recall. This is minimal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also I forgot to mention I tried turning EPR down to 2 one night and it was an absolutely horrible experience, much higher flow limits and I felt terrible. If I'm dealing with UARS I'm assuming I need all the PS I can get right? Would it make more sense to leave it at 3? 

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, keep EPR at 3. Intentionally increasing all the other events to avoid a 0.91 CAHI isn't a great idea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking of Taking a Break Until I Can Get Bilevel Idub88 31 753 7 hours ago
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,654 10 hours ago
Last Post: srwilsn3
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,481 Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 14 695 Yesterday, 07:07 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Bipap vs Cpap/Apap DreadPirateRawburts 10 202 09-07-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart georgesadam 6 163 09-06-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: georgesadam
Question Help w/ Oscar Data (recent mask switch) cpapillon 3 103 09-05-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: cpapillon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.