Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP + O2 Concentrator Issue?
Question 
CPAP + O2 Concentrator Issue?
Resmed Autosense 10 CPAP (9-11.0) + Respironics Everflo Oxygen Concentrator (2L/min) user since around 2015.  I live in CO at around 6200 ft.  I only use Oxygen at night.  Resmed ClimatelineAir Oxy Tube, although I've been using it unheated.  Humidy level 5.

Previously, when I would turn on the O2 Concentrator (prior to starting the CPAP), I could feel air coming out of the CPAP mask in my nose from the O2 Concentrator.  Noticed that I couldn't really feel it anymore.  Could be my imagination though, or air temp.  Also, maybe since I switched to newer N30i (more silicone/less plastic nose piece a while), it is just different?

Anyway, pulled out my old CMS50f Oxymeter to measure my O2 levels throughout the night.   Haven't tested my O2 since 2018.   Figured I would test with the O2 Concentrator, and without.  To see if there is much difference.  Anyway.  This is what I ended up with.  Looks like my O2 dipped below 88% quite a bit.   Makes me a little worried?  I have gained some weight over the last few years.

AHI seems pretty good.  Maybe I need to up my O2 level?  3 L/min. I don't really want to pay for another sleep study, although I haven't had one in 7 years. 

Any suggestions?  Attached is my screenshot from last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP + O2 Concentrator Issue?
Your flow limit is okay, but the oxygen saturation is concerning. I suggest increasing your minimum pressure to 10.4 to be closer to your 95% value, which is 10.7. Then, compare the saturations. I expect it will improve.
Your EPR should be 3, and your maximum pressure should be 12 cm because you are occasionally close to your 11 cm  limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes raise the oxygen to 4 or 5. More is not a problem. Test and move down IF you can. The oxygen bleeding in the Cpap is much lower than a cannula.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
We really should make a Colorado/High Altitude section for those of us who have to add oxygen to our PAP machines just because we live high above sea level! There are a lot of us floating around here.

Fellow Colorado resident here.  I'm at ~7300 ft.  At 2.5L/min bled into my PAP, using the P10 pillows, I get my oxygen back up to 95% pretty readily.  As you described in your post, I always feel the movement of air through my mask from the oxygen concentrator before I turn on the PAP machine.  I feel it in my P10 and my N20 when I swap out masks, so I doubt your mask swap is the issue in this case.  If you're not feeling that flow it seems to indicate a different problem.

If it was me with a dropping SpO2, I would swap out my oxygen tubing first.  With all of the smoke and pollen in the air, and the changes in temps and humidity as fall has arrived, I would assume that gunk has made it through the filters and airflow is being reduced.  Or, that the tubing has become bent or trapped behind furniture and pinched off.   I've also had a couple of instances where I had inadvertently loosened the end of my oxygen tubing without realizing it, and the flow was reduced without any other sign.  (I would have expected some noise from the leaky tube, but it wasn't making any sound that I could hear.)

I have played around with my O2 flow in an attempt to keep it at the minimum level required to keep my SpO2 above 90%.  I noticed that it doesn't take much change in flow rate to cause a big difference in my SpO2 levels.  For example, dropping by .25 L/min was enough of a change to drop my levels into the 80's.  Bumping up by .25 L/min pushed my SpO2 above 95% all night long...but it also gave me headaches, so I suspect it was too much oxygen for me.  If your concentrator is getting old and isn't pushing as much flow as it used to, I would expect that you could be seeing a drop-off of at least .25 L/min without realizing it.  That's just a guess - I don't know if flow actually reduces over time.

Hopefully you can resolve the issues and get back to better oxygen levels.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  02ring (Wellue) issue Blubarb 5 127 10-05-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Blubarb
  Air Pressure Issue Vako 11 498 10-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 5 395 09-28-2024, 07:17 AM
Last Post: sinanacar
Sad OSCAR SPO2 Import Issue from Vihealth(Checkme O2) MikeVet 2 167 09-26-2024, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 11 1,889 09-13-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Mask Seal issue HarveyCPAP 2 240 09-11-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: HarveyCPAP
  Humidifier Issue Vako 11 472 08-31-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Vako

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.