Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine
Battery power source for ResMed machine
I use a ResMed AirSense 10 Auto for my APAP therapy.

I'm planning a long "boondocking" camping trip and need a power source for my resmed machine.   I have never taken this machine off the grid before.
I've been looking at portable power stations (not generators) and trying to balance cost with electrical storage capacity.

From what I read, my resmed machine, with its heated hose and humidifier, would consume about 60 watts which translates into needing at least 540 watt hours for a 9-hour span.  The inverter will consume watts as well, so I have rounded up to needing 600 watt hours of power per night.
Has anyone else run the calculations and come up with about the same answer?

I'm seriously looking at a power station of about 800 watt hour capacity that can recharge every day in a reasonable amount of time.   I'm going with a large buffer of power just to be safe.
Does anyone else have experience in how much storage capacity is needed in a power station for their machine?

I'm not an electrician, so I'd like to know I am calculating power requirements  correctly.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery power source for ResMed machine
I wouldn't recommend an inverter. For about $30 USD, you can get a 12/24v - 24v DC-DC power supply for your 10 series. This would be more energy efficient.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed makes a battery you can use and a power supply that can connect to a 12 volt battery. https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...y-options/
The supporting documentation tells how to calculate the energy requirements. You can save a lot by turning off the humidifier and tube heat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the link.  I may be mistaken but the resmed battery has been discontinued.

I'm interested but haven't come across such a 12/24v - 24v DC-DC power supply power supply.  Can you direct me to the item?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use this one constantly for the past three years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQP...UTF8&psc=1

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some battery sources can be paired with solar panels. If you’re boondocking, this might be an option.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, we had a thread about using EGO lawnmower batteries to run a CPAP.

If I were boondocking, I'd use my battery source for other things besides a CPAP, so a model with inverter has appeal for me. I’d definitely want solar panels.
Post Reply Post Reply
For years I had a MightyMax 12V/35AH Deep Cycle battery (think golf cart) with the ResMed DC Power converter on a trickle charger.
After 6 years the battery is toast Smile
Anyways, I would get about 1 night using the humidifier, 1.5-ish nights without.
This is the cheapest option, with perhaps Harbor Freight solar panels and cables to recharge.

Since then, PG&E gave us 2 EcoFlow Delta Powerstations. Didn't ask for it, they sent it after they burned down the town of Paradise few years back.
EcoFlow also has the River Series and both Delta and River can be bought with solar panels. I *can* get 2 full nights on my Delta with humidifier. I don't want to damage the battery by draining too low so haven't used longer than one night.

These are NOT cheap. they will set you back at least a grand. Perfect if you lose power frequently. No need for adapters or surge protectors, just plug right in.

***EDIT***
I looked it up, I have the EcoFlow Delta (1300) looks like its discontinued
I have been looking at the River 2 Pro with solar for weekend camping trips
Post Reply Post Reply
My lifepo4 battery back up is 300 wh and I can get over 32hrs with the dc to dc converter cord, running with no heated hose or humidifier but with water in chamber.

For compact efficiency , look at the Renogy cpap battery.

At 266 wh and less that 3 lbs. I bet you would be real close to 4 nights. But you still have to use the dc to DC Converter cord. It’s only $ 160.00. Plus $ 30 for the converter cord.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-72000mah-2...ower-bank/
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the helpful replies and ideas.

I seriously considered the deep cycle battery system. ResMed has released its own publication on how to set that up for the resmed machines. I didn't choose it because the weight of the battery and recharge issues. I calculated that the total cost, including a deep cycle battery charger, would be about $350-400.

I looked at the Renogy cpap battery and really liked the price, simplicity and feather weight. I didn't get it but bookmarked it in case I ever fly overnight- which I hope never have to again.

I had the Ecoflow River 2 pro on my "top 3" list and that is the one I went with. My wife was adding other things we could power up and I realized that I needed something that would power more than my apap machine. With a 10% discount coupon I got it for $450.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a timely thread for me. I am considering purchasing the Goal Zero Yeti 1500X, 1516 Wh.

The math gives me 126 Ah @ 12V output on the 1500X, fed into my ResMed DC/DC converter which at 12V draws 13A, giving me 9.69 hrs. each night with the humidifier on, heated hose off with my AirCurve10 ST-A.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 12 1,275 Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [News] Announcement - New OSCAR Source Code Repository Crimson Nape 0 115 10-04-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 22 4,526 10-03-2024, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CPAP power post hurricane PeaceLoveAndPizza 2 163 09-27-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  ResMed 11 Battery Backup sptrout 6 367 09-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: LyndMc
  [Equipment] Battery covered by insurance? Zombie on my Lawn 1 129 09-26-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 301 278,926 09-25-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Halian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.