Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?
Question 
Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?
Hello everyone. 3 weeks ago I caught Covid for the first time. Suddenly, I couldn't sleep at all as I'd choke before even being able to fall asleep despite using the exact same CPAP setup that was doing wonders for me before Covid (CPAP + chinstrap + soft cervical collar)

I decided to switch my nasal mask for a nasal pillow that I had never been able to use successfully. The nasal pillow helped fortunately, I could finally get some sleep.

It's been 3 weeks since the symptoms started and my apnea is still significantly affected. Even my sense of smell is still diminished. I still also feel tired, not sure if because of the lingering effects of Covid, or because the quality of my sleep has dropped, or both.I still cannot sleep with my nasal mask, the same mask that I'd used for an entire year prior.

At first I thought it could be some sticky mucus at the back of my throat creating an obstruction but then I realized it was something else. Could Covid cause inflammation of some tissue in the nasopharynx such as the Adenoids? If so, how long does it normally take to go back to normal? I feel there is something there that wasn't before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?
Mainly you feel lousy because you are still sick.  It's good that you are continuing your therapy during the covid.  It's also good that you are using a nasal pillows mask.  I think they are the best.  They leak the least of all the mask types, and I like that they supply the air directly into the nose instead of blowing onto mostly the face.

Covid can and does cause numerous symptoms throughout all of the respiratory system.  Most of those symptoms will pass when the covid is gone, but some can linger, especially the loss of smell.  There is no way to tell how long the illness or remaining symptoms will last.  It's a very individual thing.

I'm praying that you get well soon!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?
My experience with COVID and CPAP is I added more pressure and turned my oxygen up to 5 Liters. My wife was sent home from the hospital as we had oxygen at home. We took SPO2 readings and looked after each other.

Get Well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mild sleep apnea, doctor recommended a dental appliance but not sure how to proceed. MysticEcho 4 80 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea is Worse than Yours... plz Help!! memoryNada786 8 570 09-13-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  can I test for sleep apnea by setting a very low pressure? joelin02 12 522 09-11-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Controlling Positional sleep apnea GeorgeGus 5 315 09-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,591 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Sleep Apnea CPAP/OSCAR/OSA/CA trish1028 1 178 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 186 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.