Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour.
RE: Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour.
Strictly a wild guess as to a possible reason for the DS2 'disconnecting'........

Per your screenshot of 'Session Information' the disconnects occur almost dead on to the hour and only lasts a second or so. I don't know the inner workings of the DS2, but perhaps the DS2 tries to write some data to the SD card hourly and for whatever reason the SD card may be having an issue when the data write occurs which stalls the system for a quick moment and sufficiently long to appear as a 'disconnect'. I wonder if a brand new SD card was used if the problem might go away. A good brand name SD card from a reputable retailer.

Are you using a Philips/Respironics mask with the DS2 which has a number for 'Mask Resistance'? I believe if using any other brand of mask, the recommendation is to leave the mask resistance setting at 'OFF". Nothing to do with the disconnects (I don't think). 

Also curious as to the min pressure is set to 5.0 and the ramp is also 5.0. The min pressure at 5.0 would seem to negate a reason to have the ramp set at 5.0(?)
Post Reply Post Reply
As near as I can tell RAMP can't be disabled on the DS2.

"A good brand name SD card from a reputable retailer."

I too had thoughts about the card, but it's a Sandisk, so SHOULD be good to go.

Plus, @ekirtz who is on the same firmware is having the same problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I recall correctly to set the 'Ramp' to 'OFF', press the therapy button to start the machine. When the Ramp pressure is displayed tap on it and then tap the (+) sign until 'OFF' shows and then tap 'Confirm'. If that doesn't get you there let me know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2023, 01:10 PM)Lucky7 Wrote: As near as I can tell RAMP can't be disabled on the DS2.

REALLY??  Wow, if true, that's amazingly stupid on the part of Philips.  Ramp is a comfort feature and patients should absolutely be able to turn it off or on by themselves inside of the patient menu system.  Same way with Auto-Start On/Off feature.  Idiots whoever did that.

Can someone with a DS2 actually confirm or deny that RAMP changes are disabled on the DreamStation 2 units?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try it tonight! 

also thanks to @stratcat48

ETA: just tried it NOW lol. Best you can do is lower it to 4. 

Yes, Phillips is dumb xD
Post Reply Post Reply
Still here @Lucky7!

Went to Virginia to ride "obsolete" motorcycles around in hundred mile circles all weekend.  So now just returned and looking at data.

--  I don't think the brand of SD card is the issue over here (or anywhere?) - My SD card is a Lexar and has the Philips Respironics logo on it.  It must be what "the manufacturer recommends" I would think...?

I have had some days with disconnects and some without.  BUT to my dismay, one of the disconnects last night was for NINETEEN SECONDS.  That is troubling, considering the nature of the therapy we are ostensibly receiving.   I have attached screenshots.

I wonder whether the one second disconnects are really a therapeutic problem - the pressure seems to go right back to where it was before, and I cannot find any common link (besides the clockwork regularity) with what conditions are occurring when they happen.  But that's just theoretical musing - obviously none of us can afford any interruptions whatsoever.  

I will call Philips today.  Part of my putting it off is that I don't use Dreammapper at all, and I think they will discount everything I'm saying because of it.  I've never been able to even get it to work with my "new" machine, and when I used it with my old machine it was just a bunch of useless smiley faces and thumbs up crap that even a child would find demeaning.  I don't need "likes".  I need therapy to get a "good nights sleep", which to me is a concept that is mythical at best.  

Lucky7, I will admit - seeing the screenshot of a ten hour plus uninterrupted sleep session made me quite jealous.  Nice work!  For at least one night you were "living the dream"!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Lucky7....

"ETA: just tried it NOW lol. Best you can do is lower it to 4.
Yes, Phillips is dumb xD"

Just did this on my DS2. Hopefully correct and clear.

Method #1
- Press the start button to begin the therapy. 
- After it starts and the pressure is shown in the display, touch the shown pressure on the touch screen. This should bring up the Ramp settings. It should now show 4.0 with a (+) plus sign. 
- Tapping the (+) sign should increment the ramp setting 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or OFF. (Note that the 'OFF' setting is after the 10)
- Once you get to have 'OFF' shown, tap 'Confirm'. The machine now should remember the ramp 'OFF' setting next time it is started.

Method #2
- Swipe the screen and tap 'Settings' (User settings)
- Tap 'Ramp+' which will then show the Ramp+ time (15,30,45)
- Tap on the time that is highlighted on the display. This will bring up the 'Pressure' screen and show the current set Ramp+ pressure with (-) and (+) signs (if at 4 only the (+) will show. When at OFF only the (-) will show)
- From this screen the ramp pressure can be set 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or OFF using the (+/-)
- Tap "Confirm' to set the selection

Hopefully the higher firmware version you have didn't change how this displays or works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I think the machine is going bye bye today, fingers crossed.

Also, I got a funny email from Philips

"thanks for uploading your SD Card"

Well cool, but I haven't done that yet? lol.

@ekirtz on the nights where the disconnects went away, the machine still sucked at raising pressures sufficiently to prevent events. So, not sure it really improved therapy that much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea....I believe the technical term for the Dreamstation 2 is "piece of crap".  I too have little confidence that it is really doing its job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do your pressure graphs look like this?

It's like the machine just doesn't give AF and is taking a nap.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Newbie: can't stay asleep longer than 1 hour with mask on KianaBeth 8 320 09-17-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Wake up every half hour skoggy 8 633 08-23-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  New to CPAP, sleep Study had me at 90 events an hour jcpose 2 233 08-15-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: jcpose
  Waking up every hour Hauko 14 958 06-17-2024, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Hauko
  Does 10 EEG arousals/hour mean sleep apnea? BigWing 0 236 06-12-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  10 AHI per hour with cpap - normal? mickapoo 30 2,032 05-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fall asleep and wake up in an hour with CPAP nicchamilton 4 455 05-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.