Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks?
RE: Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks?
It may have been under reporting your actual events because it makes the algorithm less sensitive. It also might have just been a fluke too.

The biggest question is did it make you feel better?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks?
As I suggested earlier, we are looking for comfort. One night is not proof, but if you liked soft response and slept better, that is not something I argue with what usually works for others. There will be many opportunities to revisit this issue, and I like to take a win when I can get it. The biggest rule of this game is, there are no rule. What works for an individual rules, what works for most is a guideline...hope that makes sense.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep makes sense. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
So the pillows weren't for me but in the middle of the night (two nights ago) I switched it out with a N30i that I had given up on at the beginning of my journey about 5 months ago and this time it was like heaven...especially compared to having an F20 on my face all night.  Also, apparently the soft response is working well for me still as my AHI was .24 last night and 95% flow limit was .06 AND I felt so much better than before with the FFM at standard and min pressure of 9 (instead of 10).  It looks like my only real issue to iron out is mouth leaking (please see chart from last night).  I used a chin strap until 3am but went without anything after that.  Considering a collar because mouth taping sounds claustrophic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the hybrid full face masks exclusively, in my experience getting the proper mask headgear and cushion size is critical, examine the fitting guide provided by the manufacturer, and try the two most likely headgear sizes (when available), and the two most likely cushion sizes. 

Once you have narrowed that down, review the fitting of the mask, the placement of the top strap can be critical, it normally should be right over the center of the head, if it’s too far forward, the front of the mask will fall forward and the seal will be lost. ResMed provides some nice videos covering fitting and adjustments, I think most other manufacturers have something similar.

Keeping the cushions and facial area clean and smooth is important, headgear can and does stretch out over time, and replacing the headgear can be important to maintaining a good fit.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Say, the F40 is classified as a "pillows" mask, though it's a hybrid design. Says right on the package and the manual. So, first thing I would do is get the settings correct on the unit, and then see if it delivers more air to you.

I've had really good experience with this mask (and I've tried at least 8), but I'm thinking it might slip a bit, so the nose piece goes a little off target with the nostrils. You could also try a different size.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I am enjoying the N30i the past two nights so I'm hoping I might've found something here...just have to work on mouth leaks which luckily aren't terrible. The F40 leaked so bad for me, I guess my mouth is too wide. I do like the F30 but the nose part seems to inflate and deflate aggressively.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyrider: If I'm feeling good and getting very low AHI, would you be concerned at all about high Tidal Volume and/or flow limits over .10 at 95th percentile?  Please see attached charts

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 74 4,048 07-02-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 276 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Arrow Major issues transitioning from full face to nasal pillow mask SleepTea 8 432 06-23-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 214 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Trying other masks chzuck 10 323 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Nose sore (exterior) Whacked 2 173 06-17-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ResMed 11 goes full blast cprstn54 6 359 06-13-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: cprstn54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.