Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM
RE: Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM
(08-02-2024, 10:27 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Those oscillations around the zero line are called cardioballistic artifacts.  The heart telegraphs its beat to the airway.  A fair number of people have this, and it's nothing to worry about.
I’ve been around the block on the weird waveform thing and I don’t profess to understand it.  I think you may be correct about the cardioballistic assessment in ynot’s case however in my case, I doubt it.  In my case, the fundamental frequency of the disturbances is around 90 breaths per second.  I have a hard time believing my heart rate is that high since my resting HR during the day is in the low 50’s and it normally gets slower at night.  Now if the heart could somehow transmit two vibratory pulses per beat, then I might be open to the cardioballistic assessment even in my case.  In my case I can restore normal breathing waveforms by wearing a chin strap to keep my mouth from opening during the night.  This has the effect of decreasing flow limits since the airway is more patent with the mouth closed.  Not sure why decreasing FLs would solve the problem.  Below are two pictures.  The second zero’s in on a small portion of the first so that you can count individual cycles (crests of the waveform) and see that the rate is ~90.  
I’ve shown this to sleep doctors and DMEs and they pass it off as being normal during REM or they simply claim that OSCAR is not medical software and can’t be trusted (ever hear of the word Quack?).  I think they are right about the REM part however.  I’ve also shown it to a cardiologist, a neurologist and a pulmonologist, and they look at it like a deer in the headlight and tell me to go to a sleep doctor! 

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the zoomed-in view does not seem to show CB artifacts.
Post Reply Post Reply
@dormeo - thank you, I did some googling and I completely agree. I just needed to know what term to look for! 

I wanted to post a few links in case it's helpful for anyone but I currently do not have the sufficient membership level
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Many Undetected Apnea and Hypopnia Events Tabster 6 105 5 hours ago
Last Post: Tabster
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 256 7 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  New to OSCAR, need some help understanding my data sleepadventure 6 282 Today, 02:47 AM
Last Post: sleepadventure
  [CPAP] Help interpreting OSCAR data andersh 0 53 Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Last Post: andersh
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 12 330 Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Last Post: citrus1
  [Treatment] Newbie and oscar data Trasto 5 208 09-14-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 33 1,334 09-13-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.