Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Help with Oscar data
Help with Oscar data
Hi all

I'm only two weeks into therapy. Feeling a little better and AHI is good but struggling with a bit of tiredness and frequent awakenings. Don't think I have my pressure settings correct, went from 7 - 12 APAP to CPAP at 9 last night and have EPR on 2. Thinking of turning this off to have a higher EPAP to help with the hypopnea, reras etc. 

Your advice would be really appreciated. 

Thanks,
Marcus

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Oscar data
Hi marcus10, I'd raise pressure by 1cm and see if the flow limits dissipate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the flow limits are a problem.  To reduce them we use EPR.  I would set EPR to full time and set it to 3.  See how that improves your sleep...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks both. I tried CPAP and EPR reduced/off due to lankylefty27’s video. I can now see from my data that turning EPR off has caused flow limitations. I didn’t realise flow limitations were essentially apneas. I will turn EPR back to 3 full time. I’ve changed back to auto and edged my pressure up slightly to 8-12cm. Will let you know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey marcus10,

flow limitations aren't necessarily problematic but certainly can be. In fact, some percentage of the normal-sleeping population will demonstrate flow limitation without accompanying complaints of daytime symptoms or health complications. I did a video on this: https://youtu.be/8KUvoDnk9C4

That said, it is of course advise to treat them, as they represent obstruction, just in a less intense form than, say, an obstructive apnea.

Regarding your therapy, I suggest you continue to test increasing your minimum pressure and, preferably though not necessarily the only way to proceed, keep EPR enabled. On another note, your leak is not great and could certainly be contributing to fragmenting your sleep. There are countless resources on how to troubleshoot for leak, including here on apneaboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the advice. I did set my therapy back to EPR 3 which make therapy more comfortable. I then upped pressures to 9 - 13 APAP. 

Flow limitations generally lower over course of the night but a big cluster at the start of the night along with associated hyponeas and RERAs.

A couple of things stood out. The leaks could be better controlled, and they look to be mask leaks as opposed to mouth leaks from the graph in that they are blocky and extended. Secondly, once this is under control then I may still need a little more pressure, perhaps 10-14 to begin with.

Does that sound about right? I've attached the Oscar graph below.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 50 2,709 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 9 590 Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Last Post: richardb123
  Interpreting Oscar data Yılmaz EBEM 5 177 10-19-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 7 498 10-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: sploomb
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 38 1,557 10-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] Trying to make sense of my OSCAR data (newbie) aardvarkpineapple 1 154 10-15-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 22 1,133 10-14-2024, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Bkflg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.