Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night with data / OSCAR interpretation?
First night with data / OSCAR interpretation?
Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (AHI 6.9) and started treatment a few days ago. I have received an AirSense 10 and a Respironics Dreamwear mask. So far I feel even less rested than without using the CPAP device and I wake up earlier than before. I didn't have an SD card for the first two nights but added one now and have one night of recording. Could you please advise if it makes sense to change any settings? Or should I just keep going and focus on getting used to this? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with data / OSCAR interpretation?
You are on the default settings which work for almost no one.

Try this instead:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 2 full-time
No ramp

Give that a go for a few nights and post some charts. We can help fine-tune from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get on appropriate settings—trust PL&P for those—it does take a while for your body to adjust to optimal sleep conditions, several weeks, perhaps. xPAP is not plug-and-play, though the sleep industry might like you to think it is.

Post Oscars, and go from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will try this and report back!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on the new settings for a bit over a week now. Still sleeping badly with the machine.

I usually wake up after about four hours of sleeping with the machine which happens to be just above the limit for the insurance and then I tend to  turn it off and sleep normally which results in better sleep. I had a call with the equipment provider and it turns out they sent me a wrong size mask (DreamWear small), so I'm waiting to get it in medium size which will hopefully increase comfort.

I'm attaching the results from my original sleep study and two nights from Oscar.

Questions:
1. I have a lot of central sleep apneas occurring which I didn't have in the sleep study. Should I try turning off EPR?
2. Any other thoughts on the data from Oscar?
3. In the sleep study I see that I have a very low AHI when sleeping on the left side. If I manage to consistently sleep on the left side, do I still benefit from a CPAP machine? I also see that is shows a high AHI during REM sleep; does that happen when I sleep on the left side as well?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Any thoughts on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.

I hope you are feeling rested.

My initial thoughts are you REM sleep and Deep sleep very well.

Half of the issue with obstructive apnea seems to be sleeping on your back, and think your current therapy is working like a charm.

Good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 50 2,706 2 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 9 590 Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Last Post: richardb123
  OSCAR Result Interpretation & Clear Airways Steven Alexandro 3 120 Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Interpreting Oscar data Yılmaz EBEM 5 176 10-19-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 7 497 10-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: sploomb
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 38 1,554 10-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] Trying to make sense of my OSCAR data (newbie) aardvarkpineapple 1 154 10-15-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.