Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to test a mask for leaks in the mask itself?
How to test a mask for leaks in the mask itself?
I recently bought the Brevida nasal mak. When i put it on i cant feel or hear any leaks but every night in Oscar there is a small but consistant leak of around 3-5. On top of that i have normal leaks here and there from moving around.

When examinig the mask while wearing it and the machine being tuned on i can feel and hear a small leak of air coming from the swivel on the end of the elephant trunk, where it connects to the cpap hose. F & P wont give me a straight answer, just "return to store where you bought it if you find leaks".

So i want to test this myself. My idea is to somehow plug the nose pillows on the mask and then run the machine for 5 min or so. And after that look at the data in Oscar. If it shows no leaks i know that the small leak i feel here is normal and too small to register and my issue is the mask fitting. And if there is leak reported i know that the mask is faulty.

Does anyone know if i can do this, did anyone try something like this before?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to test a mask for leaks in the mask itself?
Alternatively, you can coat the suspected part with a thick soap solution (liquid handwash), put the mask on for a minute, and check the foam formed.   
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to test a mask for leaks in the mask itself?
True. But i know it leaks from the elephant trunk connector, i can hear and feel it when i hold it to my ear. The question is if the leak is large enough to register in Oscar and be large enough to add to my overall leak value.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 37 859 2 hours ago
Last Post: Embeeous
  Pillows mask, drooling tostaky 9 213 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and unusual air leaks Honeyboy 11 213 8 hours ago
Last Post: Andre Carignan
  In Search of a Mask cyberfiche 6 159 Yesterday, 11:08 PM
Last Post: mtnjames
Angry [CPAP] Resmed Mask F30i - Tabs keep breaking.. Anybody else have this problem? Snacko 6 2,444 09-24-2024, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Sis2cher
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 19 1,475 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 111 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.