Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost
LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost
I've been using an APAP machine for nearly a month now, and my AHI has consistently been under 4. My oxygen levels are staying above 90%, so I can see that the CPAP is definitely helping. However,  I’m seeing a lot of flow limitations on OSCAR, and I feel that wake up a lot at night.

While I feel better than I did before starting CPAP, I still wake up frequently and feel like I’m not getting the restful sleep I need. My sleep study was done last month, and it mentioned I have central apneas, but on OSCAR, I only see one central every 1 to 3 days. This difference has left me confused about whether I should trust the lab study or the OSCAR data.
I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me interpret my sleep study and OSCAR data to determine if a Bi-level or ASV machine might be necessary.
Thanks so much for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost
Georgesdam, I find that optimizing the Lowenstein Prisma Smart is very difficult, and I don't have personal experience with that device. I do know that many other share your experience of very high flow limits and RERA with the Prisma Smart CPAP have found much better therapy with the bilevel version. Optimization of the Lowenstein Smart series is the subject of a wiki article written by a member here with the user name Macka. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...timization Reading that wiki should be a good start. For individuals with the problems I very much prefer to use the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto bilevel device. That machine is far more capable of treating flow limitation and has controls for pressure support and respiratory trigger sensitivity and timing that seems to be very helpful. Anyway, start with the wiki and consider reaching out to Macka who has a broader understanding of working with your device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will definitely reach out to him. Did you have time to look into my lab sleep study result ?

Thanks Alotttt
Post Reply Post Reply
Other than the fact you had mixed central and obstructive apnea, I did not see the data in your sleep study as very helpful. The CA activity is not apparent in you Oscar data with PAP therapy. Your sleep study shows all events in supine position, and you do much better left or right. My suspicion is that you have severe flow limitation which in Oscar will appear in zoomed images of the flow rate as flat or down-sloping inspiratory peaks, rather than normal rounded peaks. I would not rule out that your high levels of flow limitation may be positional. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using prisma smart machine as well, when I enable the softPAP, it always causes a lot of flow limitations. Can you try turning off the softPAP to see if the flow limitation goes away?
Post Reply Post Reply
oh wow, its worth to try softPAP off . Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 249 Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Feeling Worse After Successful CPAP Use kaizer989 10 358 09-16-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Months of CPAP use and feeling more fatigued senseisaitama 4 170 09-15-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 102 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 185 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 39 1,880 09-10-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  A new study ischua 9 325 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.