Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak Rate Questions in OCAR
Leak Rate Questions in OCAR
    Hello All,

I've started my 3rd week of using my CPAP ResMed AirSense 10.  I am now on my 3rd mask, as I haven't found one that would not leak out of the side of my face.  I'm currently using the Resmed N20 with the silicon.  For the most part, the mask seals, but sometimes during the night, it appears to slip and I can sometimes feel air blowing towards my eyes.  It also appears, that almost since day 1, I have been waking up between 3-3:30 to adjust something or it just wakes me up.

I've pulled screenshots of my last two nights. Looking at the leak rates in the pictures, are all those due to mask leaks or me opening my mouth, or is it just me waking up?  If those are true mask leaks, I wonder if the foam version might work better.  I went against those because you can't wash them and you have to change them out more often.  

While the AHI is good and the events are super low, I still feel tired when I wake up.  I'm due for my one-month checkup soon, to see what's going on.  I'm curious to see how they handle this because they didn't provide a SD card in the machine, they are only getting the uploads the machine sends.  I missed a week of data, but I'm curious to see how they will have a proper discussion if they don't have the card data. haha.

Anyhow, I still have a little time to try more masks.  I started with the Philips Dreamwearer cushion, but after two night, it was horrible, and shifted all the time, then I changed to the Whilips wisp, that one was better, but it still wasn't sealing right and air leaking out all the time, and was too loud for my wife.   Now I'm on the N20, while this one is better, just wondering if all the leaks in the pictures are due to mask leaks.  After that, I needed to figure out the dry mouth. haha

Thanks for all the advice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak Rate Questions in OCAR
You’re doing very well with leaks. Relax about them. Look at the left panel at the leak stats and see how low they are. How I wish!

Give yourself a chance! It can take many weeks to adjust to therapy. I was stuporous for over a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
Especially if your mask leaks are waking you up that’s an issue. I noticed that a lot of my events were coinciding with mask leaks. I recently switched to a Fisher and Paykel Brevida and it solved all my leak issues. I also found it to be reasonably comfortable. When I fall asleep my mouth opens and air rushes out so I started taping which seems pretty drastic but once it’s on I don’t even feel it and it really works for me. If I need to say something to my partner once it’s on I just text! lol!
Post Reply Post Reply
@[b]HalfAsleep  Thanks.  I'm just wondering if those leaks are from the mask or just me opening my mouth.  The dry mouth really sucks. haha[/b]

[b][b]@katbrat I will take a look at that mask you mentioned.  I"m wondering if the P10 with the pillow will form a better seal, but I've heard if you move, then it can pop out of place.
[/b]
[/b]

[b][b]I looked again, at my results last night, and as with every night, around 3-4 am, I'm waking up.  That doesn't happen when I don't have a mask on. haha.  I wonder what it could be.[/b][/b]

[b][b]My wife doesn't mention the air coming out of my mouth at thing, so wondering if it's a mask leak.  The longest leak last night was 122 seconds, so that as to me a mask leak right?[/b][/b]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limits are a little high, you can reduce those with EPR, your leaks are good. Look at the flow limits @the 95% your @.10. Try to get that number lower with EPR. That may be the problem on how you feel. Shoot for .05 or lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Mr. psyduck!

Mouth leaking, i have learned from this forum, can be seen when your leak rate flattens out.
You can see this in one of your graphs, it is very small flow in your case and only happens a few times.
Keep an eye out for the flattening line.
And your wife will probably let u know if it gets real bad i'm sure!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 316 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 331 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,326 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 217 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 216 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability) YouTakeMyBreathAway 3 693 08-28-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 557 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.