Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed Airsense 11 - Central vs. Obstructive
ResMed Airsense 11 - Central vs. Obstructive
I'm a new CPAP user and just found this board - it's a great resource!

How does the Resmed AirSense 11 determine if an event is central or obstructive?  In general, how accurate is that determination?  

I'm especially interested because my in-clinic sleep studies had very different results: the diagnostic study indicated ALL apneas were central while the titration indicated ALL apneas were obstructive.  For what it's worth, my initial home study (Watermark ARES) indicated only obstructive events. So far, after a week of use, OSCAR tells me the AirSense 11 believes nearly all are central (CA index = 3.51 and OA index = .13).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 11 - Central vs. Obstructive
Hi FlowRider! - Welcome
Resmed induces a waveform in the air they have termed Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT). This is something like a sonar signal. The Resmed will send out this wave of air looking for a return. If the waveform bounces back, then the event is classified as an obstruction (OA). If the waveform is not returned, then it is considered a Clear or Central event (CA). While technically a Clear and a Central event are different, an EEG is required to determine the difference. For this type of event on a CPAP, a CA is considered a breathing cessation without an obstruction being detected.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post your OSCAR daily charts and both your diagnostic and titration sleep studies

Thanks
It is with data that we can best comment
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape - Thanks for the explanation of ResMed's approach to identify obstructions through a reflected signal. Interesting technique!

Gideon (and perhaps others) - Attached is a representative day from OSCAR, my diagnostic report, and my titration report. Apologize for the wide presentation of the reports - I needed to convert .pdf to .jpg for upload.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I guess the PSG diagnostic was first shown, it mentions 7 Central and zero Obstructive, plus 44 Hypopnea. No Centrals reported in the titration.

Maybe the variable CA status may end up being treatment emergent, however due to the 7 in the PSG, you may have a lower threshold for Centrals susceptibility.

OK onto OSCAR. Try a reduced EPR and no Ramp. Both can contribute to pressure swings, which creates the environment CA like to make themselves present in some patients.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect arousal/breath holding and a bit of obstructive but without seeing the breath-by-breath charts (3-4 minute view) I'm guessing.
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave94 - Thanks for the suggestions!

Gideon (and perhaps others) - Attached are three zoomed in examples of central apnea events identified by my AirSense 11.  Do you think they are, in fact, CAs?

Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome.

I'll let others better than myself read zoomed charts. I'm not at all experienced with it. Never had to do much with fine details on mine.

Best wishes you'll get better tuned therapy soon. I'll be around somewhere, possibly break room with coffee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense beetee 6 94 32 minutes ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Equipment] Higher AHI Readings on AirSense 11 than AirSense 10 Bmck8381 0 35 10 hours ago
Last Post: Bmck8381
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 135 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 95 34,907 Yesterday, 09:04 AM
Last Post: frolic
  Central Apnea Help winterwaveforms 2 129 10-15-2024, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Apneas? jared2000 3 146 10-15-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 250 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.