Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AS10 doesn't intervene for long OA events?
Resmed AS10 doesn't intervene for long OA events?
I have a Resmed AS10. It's generally working fine. One strange thing I've noticed by looking at the Oscar traces is that when I enter an obstructive period, the machine doesn't perform any intervention until after the event is over. I would have expected it to increase the pressure, which it does, but not until my body has resolved the OA by itself. Last night this was happening, and it let me go 47 seconds without doing anything.

I've looked at quite a few of these events recently, and in all cases, the pressure increase doesn't happen until after the event is over.

I'm probably not understanding something here, but it seems weird to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AS10 doesn't intervene for long OA events?
Can you post an OSCAR chart?
Post Reply Post Reply
Image attached

This event was flagged as 47 seconds long. The first missing breath (not shown in this image) was at 4:20:00, which is when the machine began doing the oscillations for distinguishing CA/OA events. 

The next in breath begins at 4:20:42.4 seconds, and the pressure doesn't rise until 4:20:43.002 seconds, which is the time point of the OA flag. So it looks as though it had already decided that I was having an OA event, but didn't flag it until the event ended by itself.

BTW, when it did finally intervene, it first only raised the pressure by 0.2 cm H2O. Then about 2 seconds later, it raised it about another 1.5 cm.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It would help us help you if you would reformat your Oscar.  Use F12 to copy your Oscar chart, and then make sure you show to the very bottom of the Flow Limits.  Also, unless someone asks you to, always post the entire chart, not just a close up version.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no flow limitation during this period, and no leaks. If I don't zoom in, you won't be able to see the detail I'm trying to draw attention to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached full version

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Look at this and scroll down too the section . How apap machines respond to events.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...Rate_graph
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the entire night is important to understand what is happening around a zoomed image. One single event on its own while interesting, does not tell the entire story.

From the look of the chart around the 04:20 mark, it seems you are having significant positional apnoea and cutting off your own airway. A 3-4 minute zoom centered on the event may show more information. If you were tracking o2 I expect there would be a big drop during that time.

A flatter pillow and/or soft cervical collar should help. If it is a one-off then you may choose to do nothing but monitor it, but if this is a repeated issue then find a way to deal with it for better sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, this is a one off. I normally don't have any OAs, and usually AHI below 1.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help pacc815 15 335 11 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 10 213 Today, 08:35 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Unflagged events, treatment ineffective slatejetpack 4 99 Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 117 Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Persistent CA events and fatigue with low-ish AHI ATT9791 11 547 08-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 0 141 08-26-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: zood
  How long does the OSA episode needs to be? americanesku 2 126 08-26-2024, 12:37 AM
Last Post: americanesku

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.