Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
RE: Smelly mask - Part 2: buy an S10?
Since you have an S9, have you disconnected the H5i humidifier to see if that corrects the problem? If the odor remains, it's not in the humidifier. A little spray of Ozium in the intake while the blower is running, and no mask connected, may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
I noticed that you have another thread on the same subject. This did not occur until after replying to your post above. Since it contains history on the same subject, I have merged the two threads. Please keep the same subject posts together.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The new S10 Autoset will work great and the For Her algorithm is not much to give up, although it may include it as the S11 does. It will have the autoset standard and soft options, and at your pressure range it makes no difference anyway. If you want to deodorize the machine, look for a product called Ozium (Original scent). It is often sold at auto parts stores and department stores and is a professional product used for deodorizing cars, hotels and other spaces. The two active ingredients Triethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol are proven effective to kill bacteria and neutralize smoke-caused odors. For your CPAP machine, you would just apply some of the spray to a cloth or cotton ball and let the machine take the fumes in through the air intake. Do not spray this into the machine as too much is irritating and long-lasting. The fumes will neutralize any odors in the fan and air passages, and should not leave an enduring odor of its own. Less is more. https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Air-Sanitiz...227&sr=8-8
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Benzi!

Going back to the start, when I was issued with a new ResMed S10, I have cleaned the machine itself roughly every 4 weeks, by that I mean I unplug everything, extract the Humidification Tank, remove the Mains Supply, remove the SD Card, and then I just clean all of the visible surfaces of the S10 itself and with 99.9% Isopropanol.

I also remove the little grey funnel bit that enters the humidification area, and wipe that down, including running a Cotton Bud dipped in 99% Isopropanol around the air seal part, and the same around the inner air seal inside the humidification void where the blower blows out from!

I also remove and change the Inlet Filter (near and below and to the rear of the SD Card, under the hatch with all of the holes in it), and replace that with a new Hypoallergenic Filter. That stops dust and dirt getting into both the machine, and then into your lungs!

When I have taken my S10 apart further, the motor inside has always been pristine, with no dirt or crud inside of it.

Then, every single day, I clean my ClimateLine Air pipe, the Humidification Tank and Seal, and my ResMed F20 Mask Cushion, Rotating Elbow Joint and the Outer Mask Frame Unit.

I just use Baby Shampoo (because it has very few nasty additives) and Warm Water, then finish with Hot Water as a final rinse for all of those items (apart from the Mask Frame, please see below).

The tube I clean by squirting Baby Shampoo down one end, then I slush that around inside a few times with some Hot Water, then I flush it out for 15 seconds with Hot Water, then 15 second with Warm Water, then a final further 15 Seconds with Hot Water. I dangle the pipe to drain out of each end and, later on before bed, I give the ends a shake to remove any remaining water.

The Humidification Tank needs the inner seal cleaning too, and I just lift that out, and squirt Baby Shampoo into the corners and into the centre air seal, and wipe that around with my fingers, and then rinse with Warm Water. The same with the Tank, then I put it all back together, flush with Warm Water, then finally rinse with Hot Water.

Mask & Elbow Joint the same.

Mask Frame I clean with Mouth Wash in a Spray, and wipe down with a piece of Kitchen Roll. That's because it has cloth around the arms, and if that gets wet, it can take a long time to dry.

That keeps everything spotless, with absolutely no odours. If I suspected any bugs were around, I would give everything a blast with 99.9% Isopropanol as well!

ResMed S10 For Her

I think this has later and better algorithms than the black S10, supposedly for ladies, but the For Her Firmware version does manage things more proactively, and is designed to respond to any adverse breathing issues faster. It also lifts any pre-set base pressure if it needs to be raised during a sleeping Session, and keeps it at that new level for the remainder of that Session.

Although I am definitely all male, if presented with a choice, I would probably opt for the For Her version, as I think it's just a better version.

ResMed no longer do different versions for the S11 machine, the For Her option is now included in the same S11 machine.

Ladies Sleep Apnoea is supposedly slightly different than that of men but, from what I have read, the For Her Model makes more sense in terms of how it is programmed to respond to problems.

There is ResMed documentation that covers the differences, I will see if I can find it.

15 seconds later...

Yes, found it, it's in the Clinician's Guide, here is the bit I mean (uses US Spelling, so Apneas and not Apnoeas which is how an Englishman writes it!):

AutoSet for Her mode

AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.

The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:
  • Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.
  • Slower pressure decays.
  • Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.
  • Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas: If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.
Patients who use AutoSet for Her will still get the benefits of ResMed's AutoSet technologyincluding improved sensitivity to flow-limitation and Central Sleep Apnoea Detection with Forced Oscillation Technique.

In terms of cleaning, it's worth knowing that when asleep, your exhaled breath probably gets all the way down the pipe and into the Humidification Tank, so if you do not clean things daily, there will always be a chance of bacteria build up and odours.

Likewise, do not overlook oral hygiene for the same reason.

If one goes to bed without cleaning mouth, tongue and teeth well, then any stale issues there will both populate the CPAP kit, and be force fed under pressure into your lungs!

Bacteria and Viruses do tend to live first in mouth, nose and throat so, it's wise to clean all of those areas before bed, and use a good mouth wash as well. Just blow the nose, or use, say, a Saline Nasal Spray. Avoid the drug based decongestants, as many do list Tachycardia as a possible side effect.

In clinical reviews, I know Iodine and Listerine have come up trumps for killing bugs and viruses in the mouth and throat area, but 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a close second, and even rinsing one's mouth with water is better than doing nothing.

H2O2 is very low cost, and if you buy Food Grade 12%, you can dilute that down, as needed, and 1L can then last ages when used diluted for Mouth Wash (just use 4:1 water to H2O2).

I tend to halve that again when rinsing my mouth, so 50:50 Water to 3% H2O2. I also add a little to my Water Pik, and blast that between teeth to help kill any bugs lurking there.

I hope this helps.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
My apparatus is nearing five years of use, and I haven't noticed any smells, but my wife, sleeping 3' away, says she did about three years ago.  So, I do rinse my mask and hose, but about once a month for the hose and maybe once a week for the mask.  I have noticed that my mouth and nose have an odor after wearing the apparatus for several hours during sleep, and I have to wash my face.  I don't believe I have halitosis; I have excellent hygiene according to my dentist and my hygienist, and my wife and friends have never taken a step back on me.  Too-funny

I have routinely encouraged people to avoid the ozone-producing cleaners, but this is one time when you might just have to use one if it turns out that ozone will neutralize the odors.  Some of the deodorant drops like Nilodor will damage plastics in some cases, and of course it's very strong.  The idea of a couple of drops of minty mouthwash is probably not a bad idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this would be true of a Resmed unit or if the issue, but if either my DS1 or DS2 ran out of water during the night, the heat on the plastic water tray caused the plastic to emit a sort of 'hot plastic' odor which would linger in the hose and noticeable the next night upon startup. The odor would gradually diminish as fresh humid air was pushed through and would not have an odor so long as the water tray didn't run dry again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MoreBeers
Thanks for all the information; but if that's what's needed for the S10 maybe I'll be better off staying with the S9!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smelly mask - Part 2: buy an S10?
(04-11-2022, 07:25 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Since you have an S9, have you disconnected the H5i humidifier to see if that corrects the problem?  If the odor remains, it's not in the humidifier.   A little spray of Ozium in the intake while the blower is running, and no mask connected, may help.

Hi

I tried it without the humidifier. At first it seemed perfect, after a short while it started smelling, later stopped smelling (or I just fell asleep and don't remember). I'll try to locate Ozium (Original scent) in my end of the woods. Would something like bleach work?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Benzi!

Probably took me longer to type, than to actually do!

I get to clean two S10s, so twice the chore but, it doesn't take that long in reality, once it becomes routine. But does mean we always go to sleep with the kit spotless and not introducing anything nasty into the equation.

I did pull a ResMed S9 apart a while ago, when a friend lent me his right at the start of this, and having also pulled a few S10s apart, I think the S10 is a much better design. But, fundamentally, they are very similar, so you can understand the components once you've seen either apart.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thinking totally outside of the box (and maybe it was mentioned and I didn't see it), but has anything changed in the area outside of the machine? I am thinking the machine may be picking up some smells in the room and what you are smelling is not from the machine, but from the environment. As it is going to the nose in an undiluted manner it may be just enough where you are picking it up, but not when you walk into the room.

Just a thought.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] overnight cover: machine, hose and mask? seepapnyc 9 212 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 420 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  How to clean your Resmed AutoSet 10 heated hose? Hmm888 9 8,298 08-30-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  hose sliding off mask Dawei 16 15,484 07-26-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: amx1966
  [Equipment] Shortest hose or Adapter? ryans081 0 186 07-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ryans081
  New hose smell runcyclexcski 7 437 06-22-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: BobinHI
  Resmed Climateline Vs Oxy Hose Akeyla 7 450 06-11-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.