Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness
Good until 3am, then awake sadness
Hi folks - I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (AHI 5.4) late last year after years of poor sleep and daytime fatigue. I started use of a CPAP at a low pressure (5 - I have experimented with 4 and 6) which has successfully reduced my measured AHI to 0.8. I understand that this will never be 0 and that this is a great success. However, I still wake repeatedly in the night. While many nights I will wake up several times, typically I sleep soundly until about 3:20am, then have many awakenings after this time. It is not uncommon for me to have non-acid reflux during this awakening (I am on a PPI, so there is no acid, but material travels up the esophagus and is uncomfortable). This never happens when I am awake, even when lying down for long periods, and my sleep medicine doctor has speculated that this may be because of negative pressure due to apnea events "pulling" stomach contents up the esophagus.

I have included OSCAR screenshots from a representative night, as well as the content of an Wellue O2Ring.

I have observed that when I zoom in on the graph, I see a very stable heart rate and breathing pattern in the beginning of the night. However, at a certain point in the night, there is a very sudden change in breathing, which becomes somewhat sinusoidal, and I start having heart rate spikes. I typically do not have much if any apnea before this point.

I do not have any trouble getting to sleep, and typically can get back to sleep within 20 minutes after one of these awakenings (unless it is after 6:30am, in which case I cannot). I suffer from frequent migraines and low energy, palpitations, and generally still feel like dirt (though I have more daytime energy than pre-CPAP) - I am relatively certain the sleep disruption is to blame, as it was a major migraine trigger for me before these sleep problems developed. I am writing this in hopes that the experts on this board can shed some light onto what might be going on, and how I might make progress. Any insights or advice would be very much appreciated - this has severely damaged my quality of life; every night is a struggle.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good until 3am, then awake sadness
Have you tried raising the head of your bed by 6-8 inches, so the bed slopes? This is typically a GERD solution, but maybe it would help with your non-GERD reflux. The docs thought I had reflux, so they urged me to try this. Turns out, I don’t have any reflux, but now I’m used to a sloping bed. I used leftover pieces of 2x4’s and 4x4’s and went with 6 inches total extra height. My bed is not very long, so that’s all the tilt I went with.

At any rate, perhaps you can separate out the reflux and sleep issues, so they’re both easier to address.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good until 3am, then awake sadness
Yes, I have tried this, both with a foam wedge and an adjustable mattress raiser at a variety of heights. No impact from either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy? THEVGE 2 81 Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Need Help Identifying Awake Periods cyberfiche 5 244 09-29-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 7 493 09-20-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Extremely fatigued despite good numbers major maser 3 265 09-19-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 17 1,290 09-15-2024, 01:02 PM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  1 week in, is my AHI of 5.3 good Jarrod 2 202 09-13-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Can someone help with AHI score for MyAir? It changes throughout the night awake. Joeyk74 1 219 09-12-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.