Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted
Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted
I was hoping to get some advice on why I've been experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness, despite being young (23 y/o), having "good" CPAP data and no other apparent health issues. This has been an ongoing issue since I was 18.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few months ago and have been using it steadily since the beginning of July (2 months usage). I was originally at a fixed pressure of 9, with an EPR of 3. It has since been changed to a fixed pressure of 10, no EPR, and ramp off. My sleep doctor has also remarked that things look good based on my current AHI.

From my CPAP data, it looks like I've been slightly mouth breathing since I've increased the pressure to 10. I've also noticed very frequent flow limitations, but I'm not too familiar with how to interpret these. I've attached a few screenshots at the bottom.

As a side note, these are the other things I've investigated as to what's causing my sleepiness:
- Narcolepsy / idiopathic hypersomnia - current Epworth Sleepiness Score of 15, no cataplexy (narcolepsy), no SOMREPS (narcolepsy), and MSLT showed that my sleep latency was too long for either diagnosis
- Bloodwork - ferritin, B12, thyroid, and others values seem to be good. I had this done last week
- Mental health: I'm currently on an antidepressant (celexa 30mg) for anxiety/depression and seeing a counsellor. I've also seen a psychiatrist, but she wasn't too knowledgeable
- Sleep hygiene: I have a very consistent schedule where I sleep from 10PM until 7AM (9 hours). I don't have any trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- Diet - not perfect, but I do eat regular meals that are fairly nutritious. 
- Work - I work a desk job for 40hrs a week, nothing too exerting or stressful

Any advice would be appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted
You have high flow limits.  FL are controlled with EPR - You have set your EPR to 3 (max setting) BUT it is not doing anything because you have it set for Ramp only - Change it to full time and see if that helps.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted
Thanks! I've been playing with it for the past couple of months and it seems to have reduced my 95% flow limitations by almost half. Do you think they could be any lower?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still have daytime sleepiness and fatigue. FindingCourage 2 63 10 hours ago
Last Post: FindingCourage
  Need help. Fatigue/Daytime sleepiness even with low AHI FindingCourage 22 872 10-15-2024, 04:54 AM
Last Post: FindingCourage
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 22 1,093 10-14-2024, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Bkflg
  UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy? THEVGE 3 188 10-14-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 19 1,470 10-13-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 6 424 10-10-2024, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.