Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying other masks
Trying other masks
I am on Medicare with a supplement and would like to know how to go about asking to try other masks.  I have nasal issues which are not helped with the full face mask that I am using, a ResMed Air Fit F20.  I would like to try a F30 or F40 to see if either of those work for me.  I tried 2 months ago by going to my suppliers local clinic and was given another brand of full face mask because at the time I was having problems with air leaks that would awaken me.  Thanks to advice on here, the leak problems are under control, but the full face mask presses against my nose and affects my breathing.  The full mask they gave me was worse, so I went back the next week and basically told my problem was psychological.  I left vowing to not go back, but really by going to another supplier, I could end up with other issues.  So what or how can I request to try another mask of my choosing? I need to be informed before I go back to local suppler.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying other masks
I would just go back and tell them you want to be fitted for the mask you want. 

AFAIK Medicare will replace CPAP supplies on a specified schedule, I believe every 3 months for a mask.  So when it comes time to (re)order supplies, just tell them what mask you want to change to.  Usually you can just call an 800 number of your DME supplier, so you won't have to deal with your local agent, but then you don't get one-on-one guidance or size testing.

Alternately you can buy masks and equipment out of pocket w/o a prescription (I believe the prescription covers the machine and specified therapy settings, but not auxiliary equipment).

On a side note, I've found the F40 mask to be great (I'm a side sleeper), but I did have to change from a medium cushion to a large cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2024, 10:39 AM)charlie*M Wrote: I would just go back and tell them you want to be fitted for the mask you want. 

AFAIK Medicare will replace CPAP supplies on a specified schedule, I believe every 3 months for a mask.  So when it comes time to (re)order supplies, just tell them what mask you want to change to.  Usually you can just call an 800 number of your DME supplier, so you won't have to deal with your local agent, but then you don't get one-on-one guidance or size testing.

Alternately you can buy masks and equipment out of pocket w/o a prescription (I believe the prescription covers the machine and specified therapy settings, but not auxiliary equipment).

On a side note, I've found the F40 mask to be great (I'm a side sleeper), but I did have to change from a medium cushion to a large cushion.

No problem, Initially I received very little guidance and no fitting.  One problem, my mask is not replaced all at once.  Headgear, piece where the mask snaps into, and the mask are on separate schedules.  I am a side sleeper as well.  So the fit gauge did not get you the proper cushion?
Post Reply Post Reply
The fit gauge indicated 'Medium' for me, but I'm discovering that I'm a 'chin dropper' in deep sleep.  And when that happens I get leakage from the cushion and/or my lower lip drops below the cushion.  The large size F40 cushion seemed to help in that respect.  My DME gave me the F40 and all 3 cushion sizes to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2024, 01:32 PM)charlie*M Wrote: The fit gauge indicated 'Medium' for me, but I'm discovering that I'm a 'chin dropper' in deep sleep.  And when that happens I get leakage from the cushion and/or my lower lip drops below the cushion.  The large size F40 cushion seemed to help in that respect.  My DME gave me the F40 and all 3 cushion sizes to try.

Great, I hope mine does the same.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
You might also check with your Medicare supplement and see if they can give you the name of other approved DME suppliers. In my area, there are choices. In addition to the great info here, there are also lots of videos on You tube that discuss the various masks and styles, the mouth opening and a host of other topics you may find helpful. 
Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2024, 03:40 PM)chzuck Wrote: Great, I hope mine does the same.  Thanks!

For now, I will try calling my DME suppler, not the local place, I don't want to go back there.  I got the help I needed here from people who use the stuff.  I will see where that goes.  I do have a few other places local, but could end up worse than where I am.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oof, I went through something like this. Sorry to hear, hope you find an answer.

I am a side-to-side sleeper myself. Finally landed on the Dreamwear full-face (medium-wide) after several other models. The nasal pillows were worthless for me personally. 

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to call my DME supplier on Monday and make them aware that I want to change masks. I want to try the ResMed AirFit F40.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck big guy, hope you like it as much as I do!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 276 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 214 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks wvdthree 5 289 06-07-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: car54
  Oscar results comparing two different masks RonM39 0 147 06-07-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: RonM39
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 4 870 05-26-2024, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Rodgui
  ASV and masks emmylouwho 24 2,178 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 17 833 05-06-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jake79

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.