Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure?
Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure?
I have only used my CPAP for probably a month at the most and in the beginning I had a really hard time to sleep. Someone on the board suggested putting the device on static pressure and I think it helped a lot. I started out at a static pressure of 7 and have slowly moved up to 8. (I have about 3-4 events a night)

My question is if there is any downsides to using static pressure vs having a ranged pressure? 

I am an extremely light sleeper so I am weary that changes in pressure will wake me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any downsite to using static pressure vs range pressure?
To answer your question as to what you may be losing while using a static pressure, would be for those nights where you need a little extra pressure to overcome an obstruction. Since you are at or near the minimum comfortable pressure for an adult, you would not be gaining anything by having the pressure lower. Like you, I am sensitive to pressure change. For this reason, I keep my pressure range to a 1-cm change envelope. That way, there is a little extra "oomph", but not enough difference to be noticed. Of course, a 1-cm change for you would represent a 12.5% increase in pressure, whereas for me, it only is a 7% increase. You can always try it and go back if you don't like it.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always look for the live pressure range to be narrow and managed by handling events vs a hard limit on range. That said there are those that need either a fixed pressure or a solid limit to excursions. There is no one right answer
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2023, 12:46 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: To answer your question as to what you may be losing while using a static pressure, would be for those nights where you need a little extra pressure to overcome an obstruction.  Since you are at or near the minimum comfortable pressure for an adult, you would not be gaining anything by having the pressure lower.   Like you, I am sensitive to pressure change. For this reason, I keep my pressure range to a 1-cm change envelope.  That way, there is a little extra "oomph", but not enough difference to be noticed.  Of course, a 1-cm change for you would represent a 12.5% increase in pressure, whereas for me, it only is a 7% increase.  You can always try it and go back if you don't like it.

- Red

Thank you and sorry but what do you mean by "Since you are at or near the minimum comfortable pressure for an adult" ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure?
For an adult, any inhalation pressure below a 7-8 cm range seems to induce an air starvation feeling.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2023, 09:05 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: For an adult, any inhalation pressure below a 7-8 cm range seems to induce an air starvation feeling.

- Red

Ok thank you! Is there any downsides to actually having a higher pressure setting than one needs? Just to make sure one catches all the apnea events?
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia comes to mind, but don't worry unless it happens.

Mask leaks become more prevalent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPI (Expiratory pressure intolerance) on SH Michaely6 3 1,578 Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  [CPAP] OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart georgesadam 10 408 Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Pressure question katbrat 3 87 Yesterday, 07:13 AM
Last Post: katbrat
  Air Pressure Issue Vako 11 411 Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night HanoverTime 6 195 09-30-2024, 11:57 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  Prisma Smart doesn't increase pressure mark123456 4 154 09-28-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Advice on setting pressure limits esperanca 6 314 09-27-2024, 05:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.