Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns
RE: Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns
(04-03-2024, 02:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You said:
It's weird, I tried breathing slowly and calmly for the first few minutes but it really felt like it was trying to overinflate me like a balloon."

My suggestion was to relax and let your breathing settle into a normal or natural rested pattern. When people try to deliberately slow their breathing, they will typically breathe more deeply. This sets the wrong target for the ASV.  You are actually better off with shallower, slightly more frequent breaths.  I'm sure if you look at the flow rate pattern when you put the mask on, you will see a difference from when you fall to sleep.  It's that sleep pattern you want to approximate if possible.

Since minute ventilation = tidal volume x respiratory rate, breathing deeply and more slowly starting out will not increase minute ventilation significantly, since the two parameters work against one another to determine the minute ventilation. Since you tend to breathe more slowly when you begin to fall asleep, it is better to breathe more slowly starting out to set the backup respiratory rate slow enough, so that you don't get blasted by pressure because the ASV thinks you are having a central apnea, due to the slower respiratory rate as you fall asleep.

When I first started using ASV I did not do this, and would get a few blasts of air as I fell asleep, causing arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are all so helpful and I'm so appreciative of all your support, I can't say that enough!

Below is my data from last night.  Really wish I could get the leaks under control, they weren't as bad when I was on APAP.

Also the flow limit spikes are a bit strange?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks really great! At least the leaks are not much over 25 and not very many. The ASV has an algorithm to reduce leaks. You will notice sometimes the IPAP briefly drops to the EPAP level. Maybe just adjusting the mask and centering it on the back sides of your head will help with the leaks. I have the N30i and that has helped a lot. Sometimes the back strap rises up somewhat, and readjusting it downward helps to reduce leaks.

You may notice you may have more REM sleep with the ASV. I read a study that showed ASV gave the most REM sleep, then the VAuto, and lower were APAP and CPAP.

That's a pretty awesome chart!
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking back at your therapy with CPAP, you always had low AHI, but some really ragged erratic breathing flows from time to time. You have improved things across the board and I suspect your sleep is greatly improved. I was impressed that someone with a complex apnea diagnosis could tolerate CPAP as well as you could, but it seems you found the better solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chart from last night - looks pretty good with the exception of a weird 20+ second unclassified event.

Looking at the data in detail it seems like there are fairly regular ragged breaths - typically only one or two at a time but very regular.  Could this just be caused by machine intervention or is it an indication of me being disturbed / moving around in my sleep?

I only ask as I can't really tell any noticeable difference in how I feel between APAP and ASV, if I'm being completely honest.

Finally, any more advice on anything I should look to tweak?  I got pretty close to EPAP max so was thinking maybe putting that up a fraction?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Those sharp looking breaths are when the PS is high and the machine is helping you breath. I get the exact same thing on my ASV.

You could probably bump up your EPAP range to 6-10. I find that a slightly higher EPAP min helps me breath easier and makes me feel better in the morning. Since your bumping EPAP max a few times in the night, I'd say increase it to 10. The machine will probably never go that high, but if it needs to, it can.

On another note, the leaks that keep jumping up and down will definitely affect your sleep. Notice when the leaks jump around your breathing will get a little more chaotic. I know the N30i can be pretty tough to keep from leaking. I find the nasal pillows of the P30i much easier to keep sealed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! How do you find the p30i comfort wise? I quite often sleep on my stomach so I was concerned that it would feel unpleasant with that style of mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the P30i! Its probably the most comfortable mask I've worn. I often forget that I even have a mask on.

I sleep on my stomach a lot as well. I pretty much jam the mask into the pillow at night and it never leaks. It is a little weird at first getting used to having something right in your nose, but the stability of nasal pillows is great.

Since you have an N30i already, all you would need is just the pillows cushion to convert it. I think they run about $30-$40 USD, so might be worth a try for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, thanks! What's the size equivalent? I run a small n30i but it's borderline between small and medium. How does the size compare, do you know?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a small/medium as well in the N30i. I would say grab a medium P30i, unless you have a really small nose.

I find that the small P30i really restricts my breathing a lot because the nostril holes are way smaller on the small vs. the medium.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 37 1,501 Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Haldir
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 36 961 10-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  24 CA events, I am practically worried. Ddobson85 4 187 09-30-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Health] Worried about spO2 drops during the day and night... ZeroShun 2 169 09-26-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ZeroShun
  [CPAP] AHI suddenly high as well as PB and variable breathing tresero 5 247 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: tresero
  [Health] Breathing Exercises Better Sleep or not? seepapnyc 0 161 09-11-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Periodic Breathing Strategies? mark.apnea 2 271 09-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.