Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows v nasal mask
Nasal pillows v nasal mask
Anyone who has recently changed from pillows to the 'nasal mask', I would appreciate to hear whether your change was good, bad or not much different in any way in your nightly numbers.  Comfort?, leakage, etc. 

Thanks Y'all!  FLc
If It Weren't For 'Flashbacks', I'd Have No Memory At All
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows v nasal mask
What is your reason for the switch? What are your issues with the nasal mask and what model of nasal and pillow are you using? 

I went the other way with the switch. I switched from the N30i nasal mask to the P30i pillow because of leaks with the N30i. I have far fewer leaks with the P30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reason?...  Comfort, less/more leakage, use life, etc. 

She's been on pillows for a few years now, but we both were wondering if the mask thing was a better way to go....I guess you're the only one to respond...
Point taken.  FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
I swiched from full face to pillow and then to cushion. 
As Sleeprider has pointed out multiple times, one huge advantage of the pillow and cushion over the full face or nasal is that the pressure delivered from the pillow/cushion inflates your nose and expands it for better flow and lower congestion. It also relieves the pressure from your sinus.
Post Reply Post Reply
the problem with somebody else's suggestion is just that. it's what worked for them. 

anecdotal recommendations aside, your only real solution (or hers) is to try them out. if you're lucky enough to have an MD and insurance program that will let you try others for no cost, then it's easy.

if you're like me, with no MD involved, you'll have to do what I did...just try a bunch of masks until you find one that works for you. 

personally (anecdotally), ff masks work best, and in particular, the F&P vitera. but even it isn't without some occasional issues. 

good luck in your search.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went from nose to pillow/cushion back to nose. For me (UARS) the pillow/cushion resulted in nose blockage due to drying out. So for me nose is much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2024, 09:45 AM)eok361 Wrote: the problem with somebody else's suggestion is just that. it's what worked for them. 

anecdotal recommendations aside, your only real solution (or hers) is to try them out. if you're lucky enough to have an MD and insurance program that will let you try others for no cost, then it's easy.

if you're like me, with no MD involved, you'll have to do what I did...just try a bunch of masks until you find one that works for you. 

personally (anecdotally), ff masks work best, and in particular, the F&P vitera. but even it isn't without some occasional issues. 

good luck in your search.

Got all that, and thanks so much for your input.  Like you, we have no insurance coverage that would help, and with help from this board I've managed to keep her OSA in check very well without it.  Her pillows are working very well for her, we just were wondering if trying the nasal mask type would be any better.  So far it seems the pillows are the way to go....And if she's doing well, and she is, then I'm a happy guy.... N'nuff said.

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
(Today, 05:19 AM)FLcracker Wrote: Got all that, and thanks so much for your input.  Like you, we have no insurance coverage that would help, and with help from this board I've managed to keep her OSA in check very well without it.  Her pillows are working very well for her, we just were wondering if trying the nasal mask type would be any better.  So far it seems the pillows are the way to go....And if she's doing well, and she is, then I'm a happy guy.... N'nuff said.

FLc

it isn't ideal to have to fork out bucks after bucks trying to find a mask that works. it sounds like your wife's situation is a "if it ain't broke" thing; which is good. 

i think there are retailers that have trial periods. you might try one of those places.  

good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nose pillow and have been successful with it, no problems. My neighbor tried it and got a sore nose. The beauty part of the P30i/N30i is the cushions are interchangeable. Everyone is different and a mask that allows two choices works well. I sometimes switch to a nasal cushion because I can. Not much difference in performance for me.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
As noted previously, if it's not broke, don't touch it.
All masks can be good, or bad, dependent upon user.
Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pillows mask, drooling tostaky 9 312 09-26-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  P10 nasal 15mm connected to 19mm hose? Stubert 2 128 09-25-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 147 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 364 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear
  Nasal sores and humidifier. ubuntootoo 9 645 09-07-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 584 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,311 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.