Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Waking up a lot still with CPAP
Waking up a lot still with CPAP
Hello everyone,

I've had my CPAP for about a month now. I'm finally able to use it all night this week, but I'm still not sleeping soundly through the night. I keep waking up a lot. I feel completely used to the machine and hardly even notice it now. 

I've attached my Apple Watch data, pulse ox data (this cut off around 4am, don't know why), and OSCAR data. 

I scored a 6.2 AHI/9.6 RDI on my sleep test, but with the note that I didn't sleep much and it is probably underestimated, and that I had flow limitation all night. My prescribed settings were APAP 8-20, but the pressure changes were waking me up so I've been trying CPAP mode at 9. As you can see, my AHI is always looking good and I'm getting 100 in myAir every night. But I'm still very tired. 

I'm sure part of it is just continuing to let my body get used to the machine, but any insights for any adjustments I can make is appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up a lot still with CPAP
Your Apple Watch detects arm movement as a wake-up. It is not highly dependable in that regard.

Per your OSCAR, things look fine other than wake-up around 01:10. I think you may be better served using different CPAP settings though to give it a chance at help with the remaining flow limitations and OA/H events.

Maybe something like:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 9
Max pressure 11
EPR 2 full-time 
No ramp

That gives it 2 cmH2O to use (from 9 to 11) in responding to events. It may be enough to help with your sleep quality.

Another thing to do is read the following article about sleep hygiene. Many things affect sleep quality, CPAP is only able to help with some of them, the rest requires us to change how we approach sleeping. Particularly as we get older.

Mastering Sleep Hygiene: Your Path to Quality Sleep (sleepfoundation.org)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keep waking up with heart racing and shaky chayes541 3 96 07-30-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 3 939 07-26-2024, 08:16 PM
Last Post: redpackman
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 13 1,859 07-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Filbert
  More events + higher pressure in early morning waking me up? Looking for advice! JustG 1 125 07-26-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Still waking up soaked in sweat flanksinatra 14 484 07-10-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: flanksinatra
  Waking up feeling jittery with ASV Soleil211 14 380 07-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New CPAP User - Waking with very high pressures Westernsleep 12 459 07-06-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.