Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse oximeter recommendations?
RE: Pulse oximeter recommendations?
(07-22-2024, 11:10 PM)UnicornRider Wrote: Did I share the thread where we discussed synchronizing the Pulse/Oximeter devices with OSCAR?

I synchronise the CPAP charts with the oximeter charts as follows: every night, as soon as put on the mask, I use my version of the movie-maker's clapperboard - a large brief sniff accompanied by a quick twist of the wrist (the one containing the oximeter). I do the same again if I come back from a loo trip during the night. 

The two events are easily seen on the charts in Oscar, and I then use the "CPAP clock drift" setting to align them to within 1 second by adding or subtracting a few seconds.

I have recently added a quick twist of my iphone at the same time, to synchronise SomnoPose too!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2024, 06:29 AM)BigWing Wrote: I synchronise the CPAP charts with the oximeter charts as follows: every night, as soon as put on the mask, I use my version of the movie-maker's clapperboard - a large brief sniff accompanied by a quick twist of the wrist (the one containing the oximeter). I do the same again if I come back from a loo trip during the night. 

The two events are easily seen on the charts in Oscar, and I then use the "CPAP clock drift" setting to align them to within 1 second by adding or subtracting a few seconds.

I have recently added a quick twist of my iphone at the same time, to synchronise SomnoPose too!

Interesting - I had (naively I guess) assumed my CPAP machine would use its cellular connection to keep its clock synced - I use my computer's clock (synced to the network) to ensure the oximeter is synced. I have been integrating oximeter data in the morning based on the assumption no clock drift needed to be accounted for.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed AirSense 10 and my Wellue SleepU drift apart gradually. When it gets to close to a minute difference, after a few weeks, I go into the clock setting on the AirSense and set it to the next minute which will appear on my Apple Watch. I then only press the commit button just as the Apple Watch ticks over to that minute. That puts the difference back to just a few seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2024, 06:06 AM)krzysztof Wrote: Is there something like lip pulse oximeter? I've heard it could be even more accurate, but there is not much infromation about it.

the "gold standard" is using nail bed to measure, that's why most medical pulseoxs are finger clip-ons. not sure sure why you'd want to go with a lip thing instead of the standard finger clip-ons if you want more accurate data?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to do this with my Sonny RX100 camera which suffers from horrible clock drift (2 seconds per DAY) because I use the time stamps of images to sync with my GPS for geolocation. I guess I'll start doing it with my AirSense 10 as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2024, 06:29 AM)BigWing Wrote: I synchronise the CPAP charts with the oximeter charts as follows: every night, as soon as put on the mask, I use my version of the movie-maker's clapperboard - a large brief sniff accompanied by a quick twist of the wrist (the one containing the oximeter). I do the same again if I come back from a loo trip during the night. 

BigWing  Thanks

That was the thread, I was trying to recall.

I guess with the SomnoPose you no longer need the 4 vs 5 quick breaths to indicate which side R/L you waken from in the night.

Do enlighten us as how well the SomnoPose is working for you. How are you binding the iphone to your chest?

For the new forum members "CPAP Clock Drift" can be found in the upper left hand corner of the OSCAR Report:  File>Preferences>CPAP .

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2024, 06:06 AM)krzysztof Wrote: Is there something like lip pulse oximeter? I've heard it could be even more accurate, but there is not much infromation about it.

Krzysztof, There are photo optic SpO2 measurement clip-on sensors that utilize the ear lobe, lip, nostril or other body parts, there are also ring sensors for fingers and toes and the old traditional finger tip/nail bed clip- on that most people are familiar with. 

The Photo Optic technology, utilized in all of these devices is accurate to +/-  2%, regardless of where it is measured.

There are Pros & Cons to each site, Skin color will interfere with the accuracy of the measurement, as will reduced blood flow do to cold temperature/frost bite or Raynaud syndrome which typically the fingers or less commonly the toes are involved. Rarely, but not unheard of, the nose, ears, lips or nipples are affected by Raynaud syndrome. There are many medical conditions that can affect the blood flow to these areas or the ability to measure from those sites.

The nail bed sensor is often compromised by nail polish or false nails in todays society, but it is a convenient location for medical practitioners to capture a snapshot of a client's current SpO2 and most patients do not object to sharing a finger tip sensor which can also be utilized on the toes. I hope the medical staff at least wipe the contact surface of the nail bed/finger tip device between clients. 

Ring sensor are not as common as finger tip sensors, but for continuous indicating, monitoring, recording and alarming as opposed to a quick snap shot of a person's current SpO2 levels, the ring sensor or a clip-on sensor is the preferred measurement sensor. Our local clinic will send a ring sensor home for a continuous indicating, monitoring, recording and alarming, yet if you end up in the hospital here you will most likely have a clip-on sensor. I believe the clip-on is for the ease of access for hospital medical personnel. There again I hope the medical staff wipe the device between clients.  

So at this point I hope you can search Amazon and other sites that will provide the desired sensor device, that fulfills your need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2024, 10:53 AM)UnicornRider Wrote: I guess with the SomnoPose you no longer need the 4 vs 5 quick breaths to indicate which side R/L you waken from in the night.

Do enlighten us as how well the SomnoPose is working for you. How are you binding the iphone to your chest?

I still use the 4 or 5 sniffs depending upon which side I am on, but not really to tell me which side I am on (because SomnoPose does that infinitely better). I now use it to confirm if I am awake - in an ongoing attempt to understand arousals, by determining which ones woke me and which didn't.

I find SomnoPose WONDERFUL!

My wife sewed a little pocket in the center of the chest area of my nightshirt. To stop the phone's weight causing it to not stay in the center of my chest, I use a wide elastic strap (normally used for strapping a weak calf or thigh muscle) which goes round my chest a couple of times. It takes a little fiddling to make it tight enough to restrain the phone but not overtight so as to limit my breathing - as that might be counterproductive!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks   BigWing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting adjustment recommendations arichman 1 106 07-30-2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Oximeter (eg O2Ring) - Fix Time Error - So Simple! DavidEsp 7 1,063 07-24-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  Resmed Pulse Oximeter - Nonin 3150 BLE Purchase wayneflo 32 1,870 07-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
Question Oscar Review and Setting recommendations kgtx 9 471 06-27-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Thoughts and recommendations? High CA? JonathanBravo 8 458 06-19-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Recommendations based on data? BeatriceAbraxas 3 205 06-16-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Recommendations on treatment sauerkraut 22 1,599 06-13-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.